for: Round Shape
These are the top ten items that every woman should have in her wardrobe is she has a round figure.
1. Trouser Jeans – You want jeans the fit your hips and thighs and make a straight line down to your feet. Stop hiding behind baggy clothes. Jeans that are baggy up top and skinny at the ankles will not flatter your figure. I recommend a medium rise or something that comes just below the belly button. Anything lower will create overflow. And high waisted pants will accentuate your abdomen area. Remember that dark washes are slimming. A great fitting pant for your figure would be Calvin Klein Trouser Jeans from Dilliards.
2. Black or Beige Pants – These are essential items for almost every woman. You can wear either pair with any color shirt and shoe combination you can think of. I don’t recommend white pants for you. You want to use the same fit rules above as you do for pants. I do not recommend a stretch material for you. Buy pants with a stiffer material and stay away from silky jersey knit pants. A great fitting pant for your figure would be the Womyn ‘Slouch’ Twill Pants from Nordstrom.
3. Fitted Blazer – A great fitting blazer in any color or material is a must-have. This is a piece you will use over and over again. You can wear it on top of a simple t-shirt for a completely new look. It’s perfect on top of dresses, tank tops, sweaters, and more. If you find one that fits you great, you will wear it over and over again. I recommend buying one in a cotton blend or stretch material. Avoid linen as it will require ironing and special care. Remember that it’s very important that your blazer jacket comes to right below your waistline. Anything longer will make you look short and bulky. You want to define your waist as much as possible. A great fitting blazer for your figure would be the Piped stretch twill blazer from Lane Bryant.
4. Stretch poplin shirt – Every woman should have a white, long sleeved, button down shirt. It’s crisp, clean, and smart looking. It’s easy to throw on, goes well with anything from jeans to skirt, or even shorts. Wear it to work or wear it to dinner. Either way, you’ll look stylish and sexy. I recommend a stretch material because you don’t want to have to tuck your shirt back in every time you raise your arms. Remember to fit the shirt to the largest part of your chest. You don’t want the buttons to pull at your breasts. You may need to purchase clothes a size larger than you are used to and then have them taken in by a tailor. A great fitting poplin shirt can be found at Victoria’s Secret.
5. Straight Line Skirt – You will look best in a straight line skirt. The width at the waist of the skirt should be almost the same width as the hem at the bottom. Remember to purchase skirts made up of thick materials. Slinky jersey knits will not flatter your figure. Purchase skirts with zipper or button fly closure and this will cover any belly rolls you may (think you) have. Purchase skirts in solid, neutral colors so they will match the rest of your wardrobe. Make sure the skirt falls just below or right at the knee. Show off your legs! A great fitting skirt for your figure would be the Stretch twill skirt from Lane Bryant.
6. A Little Black Dress – Everyone knows that every lady needs a little black dress. Women with your figure usually have difficulty finding dresses that fit properly and look good. What you want to do is find a dress that has a v-neckline or a cross-over wrap style top. You want a well defined waistline to the dress that maybe has a thick ribbon or belt for the waist. The skirt of the dress should either be have a straight line or flare out slightly at the knee. A great example of a dress that would look fantastic on your figure is the Crinkled slip dress from Lane Bryant.
7. Shirts With Tie Waists – Most of your weight is around your tummy, and you probably have large breasts. Because of this, you have to work extra hard to define your waist. Shirts that cross over and tie at the waist will help do this. Choose shirts that have an obvious waistline to them or have a belt or tie. Any material is great for shirts. For you, I would recommend 100% cotton, cotton blends, and stretch blends. Some great examples of the perfect shirts for you are this Surplice shirt with crossover detail from Newport News and this Tunic with tie waist from Size Appeal.
8. Trouser Style Shorts – Shorts that will look best on you would come right to your knee or right above the knee. If you are 5’4″ or shorter, don’t wear capris or “high water waders”. However, if you are tall, capris are for you! Women with your figure should avoid shorts that come above mid thigh. Look for shorts that have straight lines. A cuffed hem would look best. This will balance out your large top and mid section and make you look more proportioned. A great example of the perfect shorts for you are the Cropped coin pocket pants from Gap.
9. Babydoll Tops – “Babydoll” or empire waisted camisoles will look great on your during the summer months. The high waist that comes right under the breasts help to create proper curves in your figure. The blousey bottom of the shirt will cover up anything you may want to hide. Don’t wear cropped shirts, tight tank tops, or baggy, shapeless shirts. An example of a great top is this Spaghetti Strap Handkerchief Top from Size Appeal.
10. Shoes! – You can wear almost any style shoe. Stilettos make your legs look miles long if you wear them with skirts, shorts, or capris. You should be careful when wearing loafers or ballet flats. They can make your legs look short, unless you wear them with jeans or pants. Wedges and espadrilles look great with anything from shorts to dresses to jeans. And remember shoes with pointy toes elongate the leg giving you a slimmer looking figure. Please keep your sneakers in the gym, your flip flops in the house and at the pool, and your garden clogs or “crocs” in the garden!!
Now get out and start shopping! Have any questions about what you read here today? Leave a comment or email me!