Motherhood is a whirlwind of responsibilities and emotions. This can make finding time for personal health and fitness feel like an uphill battle. Between juggling their children’s schedules, managing household duties, and possibly even balancing a professional career in the middle, moms often put their own wellbeing on the back burner.
However, it is vital to maintain personal health – not just for you but your entire family.
If you are struggling to integrate a healthy lifestyle approach into your jam-packed schedule, this guide is here to help. From quick workouts to simple nutrition hacks, here are some key time-saving health and fitness tips to keep in mind.
A Realistic Fitness Plan for Busy Moms
With your busy life as a mom, trying to find time for a full-blown workout may seem like a distant dream. Yet integrating fitness into your daily routine doesn’t require spending hours at the gym. The goal is to focus on short, effective exercises, the type that can be done anywhere, anytime.
These are the types of exercises which can be seamlessly woven into your day. Before the morning school run, during a child’s naptime, even alongside your kids – this is a workout that is equal parts effective and convenient.
So, what exercises fit the bill? Here are some recommendations to add to your fitness plan:
- Bodyweight squats: Great for strengthening legs and glutes. Can be performed while watching the kids play.
- Jumping jacks: A quick way to get your heart rate up. Think of doing it after waking up in the morning.
- Plank holds: Excellent for core strengthening. Can be done while watching television.
- Walking lunges: Good for leg and core stability. Do it while moving around the house.
- Chair dips: Strengthen your arms using just one chair. Can be done while cooking in the kitchen.
To fit into the unpredictable schedule of being a busy mom, these exercises are both flexible and adaptable. Remember: consistency is key. Even a few minutes a day can make a significant difference in your fitness journey.
Nutrition Made Simple
When time is precious, it’s not uncommon for nutrition to be overlooked. The good news is that eating healthily doesn’t have to be time-consuming or complex. All it requires is simple meal planning and smart choices.
One of those smart choices can be opting to dedicate a few hours each week to meal prepping. Preparing batches of wholesome meal ingredients – think grilled chicken and roasted vegetables – can save a significant amount of time during the week. With these base ingredients ready and stored in the fridge, it makes for easy meal assembly during busy days.
It’s not only about meals. Snacking smart is also important. In that regard, think about nutritious snacks like Greek yogurt with berries, hummus with carrot sticks, or just a simple handful of almonds. Aside from being healthy, these snacks also keep you full and energized.
Similarly, you should also think about what you drink. A mood enhancer like a kava beverage can be a valuable addition to your dietary regimen. These drinks, typically packed with vitamins and natural ingredients, can deliver a quick, convenient boost to your mood and energy levels. It can be particularly beneficial on hectic days. Easy to incorporate even for busy schedules, these drinks can offer that little extra support your body and mind require.
Mindfulness and Mental Health
When it comes to your wellbeing, it is essential you prioritize your mental health. This is just as imperative as your physical fitness. Admittedly, the daily hustle can make it easy to neglect your mental wellbeing, but taking time for mindfulness can significantly enhance your quality of life.
Mindfulness – the practice of being present and fully engaged in the moment – can reduce stress, improve emotional balance, and enhance overall happiness. By incorporating this into your lifestyle, consider the following mindfulness exercises:
- Deep breathing: Take a few minutes for deep, conscious breathing to center those thoughts and calm your mind.
- Mindful observation: Spend a few moments observing something in your environment. This can be anything from a plant in your garden to an ornament in your living room. Doing this helps to ground yourself in the present.
- Gratitude journaling: To cultivate an overall positive mindset, write down at least three things you’re grateful for each day.
- Body scan meditation: This practice, where you pay attention to each part of your body, helps in developing a heightened awareness of your physical self – as well as a deeper sense of relaxation.
As with the other tips provided in this guide, adding self-care to your routine doesn’t have to be time-consuming. Even simple acts, whether it is a short walk or listening to your favorite music, can have a powerful positive impact. Additionally, think about setting aside a specific time each week for an activity you love.
Remember, self-care is not selfish – it’s essential. Take care of your mental health the right way, and you’re better equipped to handle the challenges of motherhood. Not only that, but you also set a positive example of self-love and wellbeing for your children.
Set Achievable Goals and Stay Motivated
Motivation is always essential for any health and fitness journey. Yet, as a mom who faces a seemingly endless ‘to-do’ list, it can be easy to lose that motivation. To prevent this from happening, you must be realistic. You need to set achievable goals.
This can be objectives like a ten-minute daily workout or adding an extra serving of vegetables to your meals. These aren’t taxing, but they can all contribute significantly to the bigger picture. It’s wise to track progress made in a journal or app. Because when you see your accomplishments – no matter how small – they can be incredibly motivating.
Another recommendation is to involve family members in your fitness goals. Weekend hikes, cooking healthy meals together, dance sessions – there are many ways to get everyone to participate in a fun, enjoyable way. Ultimately, shared goals can create a more supportive environment.
Finally, remember to be flexible. Some days will be better than others. That’s okay. The important thing is to continue moving forward, where you adjust your goals as needed and find joy in the continual journey that is your health and fitness.
Quality Sleep: The Foundation of Health
Getting some quality sleep is often undervalued in the quest for health and fitness. This is certainly the case for busy moms with young children. However, lack of sleep can affect mood, cognitive function, and even weight management.
While it can be difficult to achieve in reality, try and stick to the following steps for a high-quality night’s rest:
- Establish a bedtime routine: Prior to going to bed, engage in relaxing activities like reading or light stretching. While difficult with children, also aim for a consistent bedtime and wake-up time.
- Create a sleep-friendly environment: Keep your bedroom dark, quiet, and cool. If necessary, think of using the likes of blackout curtains, earplugs, or even a white noise machine. Plants too!
- Limit screen time: An hour before bedtime should be the cutoff point for using electronic devices.
- Watch your evening diet: When it’s close to bedtime, avoid heavy meals, caffeine, and excessive liquids. You can relax with a mood-enhancing drink or calming herbal tea.
- Sleep on a comfortable bed: Never take for granted how much a top-rated bed can help in your mission to achieve quality sleep. A comfortable mattress, along with pillows, can make all the difference.
These steps can dramatically improve your sleep quality and, in turn, lead to better health and more energy to tackle those busy days.