Health is a vital component of life. The word denotes mental, social and physical well-being; when one mentions health, we imagine the absence of disease, where the body is at peak functionality.
In the 1970s, health experts chose to expand this definition. From that point on, in addition to physical wellness, health started referring to mental welfare. Furthermore, all three aspects are interlinked; if one criterion is not met, the other two will likely be deficient.
The dictionary definition of lifestyle is ‘the way in which a person lives ’. When you say you are considering your lifestyle, the implication is that you are scrutinizing your attitudes, style, moral standards, and habits. Your character and preferences drive the one you identify with. However, lifestyles are not mutually exclusive. Different categories can intersect at specific points.
How do lifestyle and health correlate?
The lifestyle changes you choose affect your health. The effect can be either positive or negative, depending on the position in which you find yourself when you take stock of your life. Take, for example, a solo lifestyle; it describes a state of living where you are more inclined to spend time on your own. This tendency can be a plus as you achieve and maintain independence and responsibility. Conversely, you may be more prone to feelings of loneliness and isolation, a significant drawback on your mental health.
In most cases, a healthy lifestyle is a combination of several lifestyles geared toward maintaining optimum health. The components of these lifestyles can be adjusted and arranged to ensure that your health is not adversely affected.
The list below mentions a number of these healthy lifestyle changes and how you can tweak them to better your health.
- Get active- A sedentary lifestyle opens you up to developing serious health issues at some point. If you spend a lot of time in one place and position, ensure that you take regular breaks to move around. You must also try to schedule some time during the day for fitness. It does not have to take long; 30 minutes to an hour of vigorous exercise daily can be very beneficial.
- Get enough rest- The other side of the coin calls for proper amounts of rest. You have to balance your activity levels with equally sufficient periods of repose. Your body uses the time when you are sleeping to repair and rejuvenate all the systems and components that it made heavy use of during your waking hours. Deep, uninterrupted sleep also reduces stress and helps to regulate your insulin levels. Therefore, you must remember that plenty of sleep is just as important as your fitness regimen.
- Hydrate- Water is known as the elixir of life. About 60 per cent of the human body is water. It is recommended that you aim to take up to 3 litres of water a day. When you drink enough water, it shows. You have more energy, brighter skin and more lustrous hair.
- Get cooking- The best way to control what you eat is by making it yourself; that way, you are more guaranteed to stick to your nutrition goals. However, if you dislike spending too much time in the kitchen, you can consider meal prepping to cut down on your food preparation times throughout the week.
- Consider the power of your eyes- It is best to keep healthy snacks on eye-level shelves. This strategic placement increases the chances that what you eat between meals is just as beneficial as the food you consume at mealtime.
- Avoid shopping while hungry- Going to the supermarket on an empty stomach opens you up to temptation. Consequently, you may reach for less nutritionally beneficial foods at every turn.
- Maximise on opportunities for extra exercise- Little things like opting to take the stairs rather than a lift when you can make a big difference in your health and fitness levels.
- Eat before a night out – When you have an outing with friends, try to eat before you leave. That way, you are less likely to be tempted while you are having fun.
- Adjust your coffee– Coffee can be very good for your health. The only caveat is that you must avoid adding too many extras, as they alter the drink drastically.
- Drink less alcohol- Alcoholic drinks are laden with calories. When you cut back on your alcohol consumption, it is easier to maintain your fitness gains.
- Try taking supplements- Nutritional supplements boost the amounts of nutrients available for your body to utilise as it strives to remain in peak condition. They are also vital nutritional aids that keep you going in the gym as you strive to achieve your fitness goals.
As you can see, making a few small but healthy lifestyle changes can significantly impact your overall health. Ergo, you should try these hacks and prepare to be amazed at the difference you see down the road.