for: Slim/Athletic Shape
These are the top ten items that every woman should have in her wardrobe is she has a slim or athletic figure.
1. Flared or Skinny Jeans – You want jeans the fit your hips and either make a straight line down to your feet or flare out slightly. Skinny jeans will also look incredible on you. Light washes will look best on you. I recommend a low or medium rise. Anything too low will create overflow. High waisted jeans are acceptable if they don’t come above your belly button. Only wear high waisted jeans in wide leg styles. A great fitting pant for your figure would be Flare long and lean from Gap.
2. Black and White Pants – These are both essential items for every woman. You can wear either pair with any color shirt and shoe combination you can think of. You want to use the same fit rules above as you do for pants. I recommend a stretch material such as a cotton/spandex blend. Remember, you want your pants to have straight lines. When you hold them up, there should not be any curving or contouring of the pants. A great fitting pant for your figure would be the Classic Dress Pant from Forever 21.
3. Slim Fitting Blazer – A great fitting blazer in any color or material is a must-have. This is a piece you will use over and over again. You can wear it on top of a simple t-shirt for a completely new look. It’s perfect on top of dresses, tank tops, sweaters, and more. If you find one that fits you great, you will wear it over and over again. I recommend buying one in a cotton blend or stretch material. Avoid linen as it will require ironing and special care. For your body shape, you should avoid jackets that come right to the waist. You want a jacket that comes to about 5 or 6 inches from your belly button. Do not button all the buttons on the blazer when wearing it. You want to just button the one right at your waist. This will create a beautiful curve for you. You want your jacket to come in at the waist to give the allusion of an hour glass figure. A great fitting blazer for your figure would be the Refined chino blazer from Banana Republic.
4. Stretch poplin shirt – Every woman should have a white, long sleeved, button down shirt. It’s crisp, clean, and smart looking. It’s easy to throw on, goes well with anything from jeans to skirt, or even shorts. Wear it to work or wear it to dinner. Either way, you’ll look stylish and sexy. I recommend a stretch material because you don’t want to have to tuck your shirt back in every time you raise your arms. Remember to fit the shirt to the largest part of your chest. If you have small breasts, wear a padded bra or use silicone inserts. This will help create beautiful curves for you. Be careful that the buttons don’t pull at your breasts. A great fitting poplin shirt can be found at Victoria’s Secret.
5. Straight Line Skirt – You will look best in a straight line skirt. The width at the waist of the skirt should be almost the same width as the hem at the bottom. Remember to purchase skirts made up of thick materials. Slinky jersey knits will not flatter your figure. Purchase skirts with zipper or button fly closure and this will cover any belly rolls you may (think you) have. Purchase skirts in solid, neutral colors so they will match the rest of your wardrobe. Make sure the skirt falls just below or right at the knee. Show off your legs! A great fitting skirt for your figure would be the Stretch twill skirt from Lane Bryant.
6. A Little Black Dress – Everyone knows that every lady needs a little black dress. Women with your figure usually don’t have much for curves. You want to find something with a halter top or v-neck. Slim, form fitting dresses will not flatter your body. You want a dress that will create clean lines and beautiful curves all in the right places. You want a dress with an a-line skirt or a skirt that flares at the knee. A knee length dress will look best on you. A great example of a dress that would look fantastic on your figure is the Lace V Neck Dress from Forever 21.
7. Shirts With Tie Waists – You want to look for shirts with embellishments or ties near the bust. This will make your breasts appear larger and bring better proportions to your figure. You also want to look for shirts that define your waistline. This will create soft flattering curves for you, which is what you want. Shirts that cross over and tie at the waist will help do this. Choose shirts that have an obvious waistline to them or have a belt or tie. Any material is great for shirts. A great example of the perfect shirt for you would be this
Satin & mesh cami from Victoria’s Secret.
8. Button Cuff Shorts – If you have a slim or athletic figure, you probably have skinny legs. That means you can wear all the short shorts you want! Button Cuff Shorts would look amazing on you. If you are 5’4″ or shorter, don’t wear capris or “high water waders”. However, if you are tall, capris will also look amazing on you. You can get away with just about any rise, but a medium or low rise will look best. Look for shorts that have straight lines. A great example of the perfect shorts for you are these Button-Cuff Shorts from Old Navy.
9. Tie Waist Tops – Your main objective should be to create soft curves. Tops that have tie waist will look best. You can also make any shirt or tank top have this look by wearing a wide belt in top of your shirt. This look is very popular this year. When shopping, look for tops that have shape to them. Not shirts that have straight lines from armpit to bottom hemline. Button down shirts of any sleeve length will look great on you. This is also a great shirt to wear a belt on top of. An example of a great top for you is this Ribbon-tie shirt from Victoria’s Secret.
10. Shoes! – You can wear almost any style shoe. Stilettos make your legs look miles long if you wear them with skirts, shorts, or capris. You have the perfect body shape to wear a pair of skinny jeans and ballet flats. Wedges and espadrilles look great with anything from shorts to dresses to jeans. And remember shoes with pointy toes elongate the leg giving you a slimmer looking figure. Please keep your sneakers in the gym, your flip flops in the house and at the pool, and your garden clogs or “crocs” in the garden!!
Now get out and start shopping! Have any questions about what you read here today? Leave a comment or email me!