for: Pear Shape
These are the top ten items that every woman should have in her wardrobe is she has an pear shape figure.
1. Straight leg jeans or Boot Cut jeans – You want jeans the fit your hips and thighs and make a straight line down to your feet. Jeans that are baggy up top and skinny at the ankles will not flatter your figure. It will create the opposite affect that you should be going for. You want jeans that fit you in the thigh/butt/hip area and make a straight line all the way to your ankles. The pants will probably be quite loose around the ankle area and this is what you want. By creating a straight line from your hips to your ankles, you will being more attention to your small waist and chest. I recommend a rise that comes just below the waist or right to the waist. Never wear low rise jeans! You may want to look for relaxed fit jeans. A great fitting pant for your figure would be At-Waist Stretch Boot-Cut Jeans by Old Navy.
2. Black pants and white pants – These are both essential items for every woman. You can wear either pair with any color shirt and shoe combination you can think of. You want to use the same fit rules above as you do for pants. I recommend a stretch material such as a cotton/spandex blend. Remember, you want your pants to have straight lines. When you hold them up, there should not be any curving or contouring of the pants. A great fitting pant for your figure would be the Marisa Fit Wide-Leg pant by Victoria’s Secret.
3. Slim fitting Blazer – A great fitting blazer in any color or material is a must-have. This is a piece you will use over and over again. You can wear it on top of a simple t-shirt for a completely new look. It’s perfect on top of dresses, tank tops, sweaters, and more. If you find one that fits you great, you will wear it over and over again. I recommend buying one in a cotton blend or stretch material. Avoid linen as it will require ironing and special care. For your body shape, you should avoid jackets that come right to the waist. You want a jacket that comes to about 5 or 6 inches from your belly button. Make sure you buy a great fitting blazer jacket that comes in at the waist to give the allusion of an hour glass figure. A great fitting blazer for your figure would be the Snap-front blazer in stretch cotton by Victoria’s Secret.
4. Stretch poplin shirt – Every woman should have a white, long sleeved, button down shirt. It’s crisp, clean, and smart looking. It’s easy to throw on, goes well with anything from jeans to skirt, or even shorts. Wear it to work or wear it to dinner. Either way, you’ll look stylish and sexy. I recommend a stretch material because you don’t want to have to tuck your shirt back in every time you raise your arms. Remember to fit the shirt to the largest part of your chest. You don’t want the buttons to pull at your breasts. A great fitting poplin shirt can be found at Victoria’s Secret.
5. Flared Skirt – Women with a pear shaped figure look great and well balanced in a flared skirt. The skirt flares out at the knee to balance out your large hips. This will help you achieve the look of an hour glass figure. Purchase skirts in a solid neutral color so it will match the rest of your clothes. Make sure the skirt fall just below or right at the knee. I recommend something in a 100% cotton, linen, or a stretch cotton blend. A great fitting pencil skirt for your figure would be the Flared Linen Skirt from Forever 21
6. A Little Black Dress – Everyone knows, no matter what shape you are, every lady needs a little black dress. Women with a pear shaped figure should look for dresses that flare out at the knees. Tight fitting dresses are not recommended. A great example of a dress that would look fantastic on your figure is the Bowtie Tube Dress from Forever 21.
7. Shirts and Blouses – Because your your chest is much smaller than your waist and hips, you want to bulk up your top a bit. If you have small breasts, consider a padded bra or silicone inserts to achieve a fuller looking chest. That will balance out the width of your hips and give you more of an hour glass figure. Choose shirts that are loose and blousey and have exotic prints or embellishments. You want to draw attention to your chest and mid section and away from your hips and posterior. My favorite shirt materials are cotton blends, jersey, silk, chiffon, and stretch blends. A great example of a nice fitting shirt for you is this nice Smocked Bottom Tee from Alloy.
8. Striped Shorts – Shorts that will look best on you would come right to your knee or right above the knee. If you are 5’4″ or shorter, be careful when wearing capris or “high water waders”. If they come lower than mid calf, they will make you look very short. Shorts that fall away from the body a little bit are best. Wearing loose fitting shorts will look best on your figure. Verticle lines will lengthen your appearance and that will draw attention away from your hips and thighs. Be careful that the lines look STRAIGHT. If they curve with your curves, buy a bigger size. A great example of the perfect shorts for you are the Pleated Striped Short from Banana Republic.
9. Dressy Tops – Buy shirts to accentuate your breasts. Since you probably have smaller breasts, you want to wear a padded bra to help balance your figure. Wearing a padded bra or silicone inserts will help give you the hour glass figure you’re looking for. Never wear shirts without a bra. Halter tops and shirts with thick straps will look fantastic on you. Also look for empire waist shirts. Avoid tube tops. I recommend wearing v-neck camisole and tanks. An example of a great top for you is this Cap Sleeve Top from Victoria’s Secret.
10. Shoes! – You are free to wear almost any style of shoe. However be careful with shoes that make your feet look small. If your feet look small, that will really accentuate your pear shape and you don’t want to do that. Stilettos make your legs look miles long if you wear them with skirts or shorts. Ballet flats can make your legs look short and stubby, unless you wear them with jeans or pants. Shoes with pointy toes will elongate the legs. Wedges and espadrilles are going to be the best option for you though. And remember, keep your sneakers in the gym, your flip flops in the house and at the pool, and your garden clogs or “crocs” in the garden!!
Now get out and start shopping! Have any questions about what you read here today? Leave a comment or email me!