It’s not too late to get a fabulous swimsuit this summer. After all, there’s still plenty of beach-and-pool weather on the horizon, and with any luck, you can score a fabulous one at a post-4th price.
If your budget has any room for a splurge, though, a great bathing suit is the perfect place to use it. Think about it– have you ever turned down a fun invitation to an event because you didn’t have a cute swimsuit? Or have you gone and felt self-conscious the whole time because you weren’t happy with how you looked? Contrary to what we often tell ourselves, the problem isn’t necessarily with our bodies. Sure, extra time in the gym always makes you look and feel better, but the right swimsuit will make a huge difference– even if you haven’t been able to get to the treadmill lately. Finding a suit with proper support, the right fit, and clever design features will mean you’re always beach-ready. Choose a timeless style, and you can wear it for years.
Veteran fashion expert Cyla Weiner of Sylene of Washington, D.C. reached out to us with some useful tips for selecting a suit you’ll love to flaunt. Check them out along with some sassy selections from her boutique:
1. COLOR— Black is a universal color and is always in style and flattering. Navy has taken over where brown left off this year. Extremely popular for 2010 are solid colors with malachite being very strong. Other popular colors are purple, which will be strong for Fall fashion too. Always good are red, hot pink, and sea foam blue which compliment most complexions.
2. STYLE— The one shoulder is popular for fashionistas but doesn’t work well for tan lines. The bandeau and tankini have also been popular this summer. This season’s mix and match two-piece suits work well as you can get bra sized tops and then any size bottom, ensuring a better fit.
3. DETAILS— Ruching and shirring in same tones are popular with many designers and that is an extremely flattering line for most body types.
4. THEMES— Solid colors, stripes, and paisley abound are prominent themes this year. There seems to be less hardware than in previous seasons.
Shoshonna Paisley String Halter
5. SUITS FOR LARGE BUSTED—Designers are listening to women’s’ cries for sexy and attractive suits that are specifically designed for D and DD cup women. Fantasie, Freya, Shoshanna, and Roidal have all designed strong suits in a variety of solid colors and prints for this body type this season.
About Cyla Weiner: Cyla Weiner is a bra, intimate apparel and swimwear fitting expert who grew up in the fashion industry. She opened Sylene of Washington (SW), a woman-owned lingerie and swimwear boutique, in the Washington-DC area 35 years ago. She and SW’s fitting experts specialize in helping women, brides to be, and teens who appreciate a combination of personal attention and superior, luxurious selections.