For those of you that like Asian food, but try to eat gluten-free, you might miss eating egg rolls. Not only are those delicious egg rolls wrapped in gluten, but they are deep fried too. Not exactly a diet-friendly thing to be eating! My friend suggested we try making deconstructed egg rolls in a bowl so I headed to Pinterest to find a recipe! Between my diet and my son’s allergies, I wasn’t able to find a recipe we could both enjoy so I made up my own!
Egg Rolls In A Bowl
- 2 32oz bags of Green Giant Sunshine Slaw (shredded carrots & cabbage)
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil (can sub olive oil)
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/3 cup beef broth (or chicken broth)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1 lb pork tenderloin (or ground turkey)
- See recipe below for cooking the pork tenderloin in your Instant Pot OR use ground turkey!
- Brown the turkey in a large pan with the sesame oil or add prepared pork tenderloin to pan.
- Reduce heat to medium and add spices, broth, and orange juice.
- When meat is fully cooked, add 2 bags of sunshine slaw and stir.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently till carrots are tender (3-4 mins)
- Add soy sauce or coconut aminos to taste.
- Serve in a bowl over jasmine rice or riced cauliflower
I personally found that preparing the pork tenderloin in the Instant Pot ahead of time made this an extremely quick dinner to prepare. I had a frozen pork tenderloin that I literally chopped in half and threw into my Instant Pot on manual for 30 minutes.
Follow the recipe above and add the spices, broth, orange juice and chopped garlic to the IP. Add 1/4 cup of honey. Close lid and set your IP to manual, high pressure or 30 minutes. When finished, do the quick release and then test the internal temperature of the pork to be sure it has reached 145 degrees F. If it has not reached 145, replace lid and reset IP on manual, high pressure for an additional 5 minutes.
Remove the pork tenderloin and place on cutting board. Shred with a fork or chop with a knife (whichever you prefer). Add your 2 bags of sunshine slaw to the IP and switch it to “Saute” and finish making your meal in your Instant Pot OR remove the sauce from the IP and pour into your large pan and cook the cabbage and carrots mixture on the stovetop.
Alternatively, you can use ground beef, ground pork, ground turkey, or even leftover shredded chicken. I made this with the ground turkey chopped meat and liked it just as much as the shredded pork tenderloin. I can’t have rice on The Dukan Diet, so I served mine over Miracle Rice. It was delicious!
This recipe is easy to make and delicious! Best of all, it’s versatile. Most of the ingredients you probably already have on hand and this is a great way to use up leftover meat. It’s family friendly too! My kids absolutely loved it.
Be sure to share this recipe with your friends and pin it on Pinterest for later!