Staying most of the day indoors can affect the skin–causing dryness, dullness, and irritation brought about by dirt, pests, and other indoor contaminants. When you’re spending too much time indoors, learning how to keep your skin clear and healthy at home is a must.
By clear and healthy skin, this means that it’s free or reduced to a significant degree from all sorts of skin alterations, including rashes, dark spots, pimples, infection. But these skin goals are impossible without a good skincare regimen.
For your reference, check out the following natural skincare solutions you can apply at home:
Natural Skincare Solutions
To achieve glowing and healthy skin, there’s no need to shop for everything that your skin needs. In fact, your kitchen and your garden are already filled with natural skincare solutions that you usually use to cook or prepare meals. Also, you might have plants, herbs, and spices you can concoct and apply on your skin that relieve or reduce skin problems.
Natural skincare solutions are also commercially available. For instance, you might want to apply hemp oil for skin to benefit from the hemp’s antioxidant and skin-nurturing properties.
Natural Skincare Solutions To Try
- Papaya: This fruit is packed with phytochemicals and powerful enzymes, including papain for skin lightening and beta-carotene as a natural sunblock.
- Aloe Vera: If you have some aloe vera plants at home, you can apply its gel on your skin to help reduce skin blemishes and pimples.
- Milk: The best skin ingredient found in raw milk is lactic acid, which acts as a skin exfoliant. Apply it on your skin with cotton soaked in raw milk, then rub it gently. Wash it off after 15 minutes.
- Yogurt: Like raw milk, yogurt is rich in lactic acid, which aids dissolve dead skin cells for your skin to produce new cells. Make a yogurt and oatmeal mixture in a bowl, then apply it on your face and neck. Massage gently in a circular motion. Wash it off with lukewarm water after 10 to 15 minutes.
- Honey: It’s most sought for its antioxidant and anti-bacterial properties, making the skin soft and supple. Make honey and lemon juice mixture, then apply it on your skin. Wash it off after 20 minutes.
- Tomato: The lycopene content of tomato prevents skin inflammation and cellular damage. Apply a tomato mask (a mixture of tomato pulp and juice) on your face, then wash it off with lukewarm water after 15 minutes.
Good nutrition shouldn’t be overemphasized because it’s one of the keys to clear and healthy skin. The nutrients in the food or beverage you consume can affect the condition of your skin cells. Hence, with a balanced diet and supplementation, you can achieve healthy and glowing skin.
The following diet and nutrition tips can help you have or maintain clear and healthy skin:
- Consume Skin-friendly Foods: The best foods for the skin are those that are rich in vitamin C as it promotes good skin collagen, omega fatty acids for soft and moisturized skin, carotene as a natural sunblock, and antioxidant to get rid of free radicals.
Some skin-friendly foods include fatty fish (salmon), avocados, sweet potatoes, walnuts, and broccoli.
- Keep Your Body Hydrated: To keep your cells hydrated, ensure that your body is getting enough water. Hence, increase fluid intake, most especially water.
Coconut water is also healthy for the skin and also promotes better kidney function.
- Don’t Resist Hunger: Diet plans may put you at risk of increased hunger hours. However, hunger usually comes with dehydration and nutrient imbalance that can affect your skin’s health.
It’s best to eat three meals that are packed with nutritious foods than those with high sugar or calories. This way, you can maintain your ideal body weight without leaving you hungry at any time of the day.
Good nutrition shouldn’t be overemphasized because it’s one of the keys to clear and healthy skin. The nutrients in the food or beverage you consume can affect the condition of your skin cells. Hence, with a balanced diet and supplementation with the best skin vitamins, you can achieve healthy and glowing skin.
Develop a Personalized Skincare Regimen
Instead of applying a skincare regimen that came from your favorite celebrity, why not develop your own personalized daily skincare routine with natural skincare solutions? This is important as it’s more targeted according to the needs of your skin, your skin type, and your brand preference.
Here are some tips for developing a personalized skincare routine with natural skincare solutions:
- Assessment: Assess your skin for any signs of abnormality. Also, washing the skin too much may cause cracks and skin problems.
- Know Your Skin Type: While other people have dry or oily skin, some people have a combination of both. By knowing your skin type, you’ll be guided on the right skincare products to purchase.
- Take Time to Check the Listing: When shopping for skincare products online, read the product listing carefully. Check the ingredients and make sure that you’re not allergic to any of them.
Stay away from the following skincare product that contains the following ingredients: DEA (diethanolamine), TEA (triethanolamine), MEA (Monoethanolamine), parabens (e.g., butyl, propyl, methyl, and ethyl), phthalates, and PEG (Polyethylene glycol). These ingredients are usually associated with cancer, eczema, and other health problems.
Exercise is important for your skin’s health because it promotes increased heart rate and improves blood circulation. It also means improved oxygen and nutrient delivery to the skin, keeping the skin healthy. Exercise also promotes new skin cells, collagen production, and avoids aging, keeping your skin glowing.
Here are the following exercise tips to keep your skin healthy at home:
- Early Morning Exercise: Set your alarm and wake up early in the morning to exercise. Early morning exercise is the best way to start the day because you’re fully energized, unlike late in the afternoon, when you’re probably exhausted doing household chores or working from home.
- Use Available Resources: You might be concerned about gym equipment not available at home. However, you can still exercise without them by using available resources, such as empty mineral water bottles filled with sand or tap water that you can use as weights.
- Exercise Outdoors: You can jog or run around your backyard if it’s spacious enough. If you have small or limited outdoor space, you can place an exercise mat and perform yoga, Pilates, stretching exercises, and other exercises that don’t require too much mobility or movement.
Keep your skin clear and healthy at home by creating a personalized skincare routine. Be creative and resourceful, like using available kitchen ingredients or herbs and plants in your garden concocted as natural skincare solutions.
Also, exercising and eating nutritious food is important to keep your skin cells hydrated, oxygenated, and nutrient-packed for glowing and healthy skin.