Bright red lips draw attention to your face and making you go from real-life to red-carpet style!
When To Wear Red Lipstick:
- Evenings, Parties, and Special Events
- With Glasses (Not sunglasses)
- With your Little Black Dress
- When wearing dark colors like black, navy blue, forest green, or dark gray.
How To Wear Red Lipstick:
The purpose of lipstick is to make lips look larger and to hide imperfections. Lips need special care so before applying lip color, exfoliate lips occasionally with a soft toothbrush or washcloth to remove dead skin cells & increase circulation. Be gentle and only brush away loose skin that falls away easily.
Tip: To minimize lipstick bleeding, outline the lips with a broad line using a lip pencil. Powder the pencil line. Fill in the lips with lipstick, but carry the lipstick just up to the lip pencil. This helps set a barrier for the more emollient lipstick. Or you can use an eye primer on lips to help lipstick stay put.
1. Use a nude lipliner like DuWop Reverse Lipliner to outline your actual lipline. Do not modify your lipliner when you are wearing red lipstick!
2. Don’t over-do the rest of your makeup. Red lips should be the main feature on your face.
3. Well groomed eyebrows are important, as is non-clumpy mascara. A simple, pink or nude eyeshadow is best. Less is more when it comes to makeup with red lips.
When NOT To Wear Red Lipstick:
- When you have chapped lips!!
- If you can’t find any lip liner.
- If you know you’re going to have a hot make-out session…
- If you’re having an acne breakout
Recommended Red Lipsticks:
Make Up For Ever Lipstick in Blue Red 205
Blue-reds are flattering on most skin tones. Lipstick with blue tones in it like this one help make teeth looks a couple shades whiter too!
Sephora Brand Plumping Lip Gloss in Red 5
A nice way to get red lips anytime. Less of a bold impact, but still lots of shine.
Sources: Diane St. Amand-Scott, Makeup Chair at Spirit of The Gulf, Sephora Book