Ahh home. There’s nothing quite like arriving home after a long and stressful day, kicking your shoes off, and breathing in the familiar scent of comfort. Your home is a safe haven for you and your family, and one of the last things you’d ever expect it to do is make you unwell.
If you are wondering if your home making you sick, there is a good chance it might be! Illness due to factors around the home is more common than you may think and more often than not, a fairly easy fix.
Is your home making you sick? Check out these signs to look out for around your home!
If your home was made between 1920 and 1978, you may be exposed to asbestos, any of the six naturally occurring fibrous minerals that were widely used as construction and insulation materials for homes of that period. Asbestos can be greatly harmful to your health, as the fibers get into your lungs and permanently damage them. You can’t see or smell asbestos, but exposure to loose fibers can cause lung diseases such as mesothelioma, asbestosis or lung cancer. If you have asbestos flooring, you should start looking into the best hardwood floor types and budget accordingly. From insulation to flooring, there is a possibility that your home making you sick!
One of the last places you’d expect to be harmful is in your pantry stock, but have you had a proper look around lately? Did you know that sometimes, many people have pests in their pantry cupboards for weeks before noticing anything? Mice and rats are carriers of germs and diseases, so it’s pretty self-explanatory why you don’t want them in your home making you sick and pooping everywhere. Call your local pest control if you find signs of pests such as holes in food wrappings, droppings, or even damage to your flooring.
Having mold around the home is a very common problem, especially if you live in a high-moisture climate that can vary in heat from one day to the next. A home with high humidity (anything over 60 percent) can become a hotbed for mold and before you know it, your home is making you sick.
It’s essential for you and your family’s health to have a good-quality air purifier like the NuWave OxyPure smart air purifier that will significantly help the air quality in your home and act quickly to remove 99.99% of bacteria and 9.96% of Influenza A.
Not only does this machine help with seasonal and environmental allergies like dog dander, cat hair, and general dust and dangerous molds, but it also REMOVES CORONAVIRUS AND THE FLU FROM THE AIR. Yes, you actually read that right. Read the data here.
While you make sure you keep your home’s air as clean as possible with an air purifier, you also need to be mindful of the humidity levels. When the humidity level is high enough, it can also damage the drywall and create an atmosphere where the mold spreads behind the walls. We also know that some dangerous mold causes a multitude of health problems, from chronic sinusitis to nervous system damage. High humidity also attracts dust mites, which can cause allergic reactions, stomach issues and sleep disorders.
Keep in mind that you don’t want your moisture levels in your home to be too low (below 40%) because it can lead to respiratory irritation. Luckily, mold isn’t a massive problem to treat especially when it’s found early enough. Keeping mold out of your bathroom and basement can be tricky, but most local hardware stores stock mold spray that you can use.
Finally, many older homes were painted using lead based paint, and in the space of one year, over 900,000 young children are affected. If your home was built before 1948, it’s worth having your paintwork tested and also your family members to check your lead levels aren’t dangerous. A little known fact is that there’s a risk of lead poisoning from scented candles – even when unlit! Be sure to know what’s in your candles before purchasing them for your home. There is a good chance that your home making you sick and you don’t even know it.
What can you do about it?
You can get a smart device to monitor the air quality in your home. The Airthing Wave Plus can has Radon detection, including sensors for temperature, air pressure, humidity, TVOCs, and CO2.
Is your home making you sick unknowingly? Follow these signs and see for yourself!