With the COVID-19 pandemic still ravaging the world, and with winter fast approaching, there’s never been a better time to take control of your immune system. With the cold and flu season around the corner, it’s important to find ways to help your immune system so it can fight off any illness you might be exposed to.
There is no magical medical intervention or prescription that can prevent you from getting sick. But thankfully, there are some natural ways to strengthen and help your immune system so you will be better prepared.
#1. Foods That Help
There are tons of food that improve your overall health and immune system’s ability to fight off an illness. They can help your immune system by improving your gut health, by reducing inflammation, and more. Here are some of the best foods and drinks to consume:
- Grapefruit, oranges, lemons, tangerines, papaya, broccoli, red bell peppers, spinach
- Almonds and sunflower seeds
- Fresh raw garlic helps lower blood pressure and boost immune system
- Lemon, ginger, and turmeric
- Green tea
The reason why these foods or drinks help vary. Anti-inflammatory foods help reduce or prevent illnesses or symptoms associated with inflammation, such as having a sore throat. Antioxidants and vitamins help strengthen your immune system’s response to bacteria and diseases. Improving your gut health helps reduce nausea, or prevent it from filtering through your digestive system.
#2. Natural Supplements
If you don’t like certain foods, there’s also the option of taking vitamins and minerals which are connected to improving immune systems. Here are some of the better ones you can find at your pharmacies or grocery stores:
- Vitamin C — Can help your immune system cells to protect against infection and illness
- Vitamin D — Enhances your white blood cells, which are a central part of your immune defense
- Zinc — Helps immune cell development as well as improving how the different parts of your immune system communicates with each other
- CBD — Comes loaded with antioxidants and is a strong anti-inflammatory, making it one of the best sources of holistic immunity.
#3. Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle
The other big change you can make to help your immune system naturally is by following a healthy lifestyle. The healthier your body is, the stronger your immune system is at fighting off an illness. That’s one of the reasons why eating healthy foods is beneficial, beyond the specific nutrients they contain.
Here are three of the best lifestyle tips to keep your immune system healthy:
- Exercise regularly — Promotes good blood circulation so your white blood cells can get where they are needed quickly
- Get a good night’s sleep — Sleep deprivation can lead to a decrease in special proteins your body produces as you sleep which help your immune system work effectively.
- Keep your stress levels low — Having a high amount of stress can also cause decline in those proteins called cytokines on their own, and also lead to worse sleep.
If you think about all of the tips listed above, whether it’s ways to improve your diet, take supplements, or follow a healthy lifestyle — none of it is expensive or time-consuming. It’s not hard to incorporate some of the foods into your regular meals, or take some supplements in the morning or evening, or to make sure you get exercise and sleep. Considering the state of the world right now, it’s never been more important to make these small changes when they can help to boost your immune system in a big way.