With Labor Day just around the corner, it’s not too early to start thinking about fall fashion and deciding which trends are worthy of space in your closet.
This week I’m focusing on something that’s been trending for a couple of seasons now and is all over fall collections: Military Style. Key elements of this look are:
- sharp tailoring with emphasized pockets and buttons
- buckles, straps, and other regimental details
- austere color palettes
- braid or leather embellishments
- double-breasted looks
The trick to wearing this look is to keep it clean and refined. Be careful about piling it on in a costumey way; you don’t want anyone to think you’re part of an invading army (or the “specialty” club scene for that matter). A couple of military-influenced items paired with tailored basics will create a look that’s fashion-forward, stylish, and sexy.
Check out a few pieces I like and– thanks to Polyvore –some quick ideas about how to wear them.
1. Romeo & Juliet Couture Ivory Military Jacket at Bluefly.com ($136 marked to $82)
2. Gold Vermeil Fleur-de-lis Earrings at Overstock.com ($17.99)
3. Boutique 9 Women’s Mila Dress Boot at Endless.com ($229.95 marked to $172.46)
(Shown with McQ Mid-Rise Slim Leg Jeans in Black, Marc by Marc Jacobs TT Faridah Hobo in Cobalt, Mykita Black Plastic Aviator Sunglasses, and Private Blend Lip Color by Bergdorf Goodman.)
1. Belted Military Shirt Dress at Express.com ($59.90)
2. Layered Military Charm Necklace at Express.com ($49.90)
(Shown with J Jeans by Jasper Conran Gemma Tote Bag and Kate Spade Karolina Pumps.)
Since Military Style is so big for fall, I’ll focus on two specific aspects of this look later in the week. It’s a great trend– get it right and you’ll have no trouble commanding attention!