Boho chic has been trending for a couple of seasons, and it’s back in force for Fall. It’s kind of the airy yin to the military trend’s no-nonsense yang. So if the crisp, sharp aesthetic of that trend turns you off, you can put together artsy boho ensembles and still be totally 2010.
The key elements of this trend:
- Patterns– particularly florals, Asian-inspired prints, and paisleys
- Loose silhouettes– think kimono sleeves, tunics, dolman tops, etc.
- Soft fabrics like chiffon and crocheted lace (worn casually)
- Accessorizing with scarves and hats
- Lots of denim (and not just as jeans)
And a couple of things to remember:
- This look had its first heyday during the 70s (think Kate Hudson in Almost Famous and Ali Macgraw in Love Story). So feel free to incorporate the classics of hippie style, including bell bottoms (since that uber-flattering silhouette is trending again) and platform shoes. As always, just remember to keep it restrained, not costumey.
- Yay! It’s a trend that’s definitely supposed to be fun. Experiment with fringe, colored shoes, embroidered accents— a lot of things you might normally avoid. Keep in mind that a little goes a long way, and you should have no trouble putting together a boho chic ensemble.
I put together some quick outfit ideas via Polyvore.
Handmade Silver Lariat and Green Jade Necklace (Thailand) at Overstock.com,
Mavi Jeans – Zoe Decorated at 6pm.com, M.S.S.P. Jersey Knit Top at Dillards.com,
Le Due by Due Farina Agnis Pump at Endless.com, and
The SAK Artist Circle Weekender at Endless.com.
Restricted Paratrooper Boots at Piperlime.com, American Rag Ruffle Denim Shirtdress at Macys.com, Enamel Bangles at Target.com, Studio 36 Metallic Paisley Wrap at Sears.com, Lauren by Ralph Lauren Tapered Hoop Earrings at Nordstrom.com, and Gap Coated canvas tote at Gap.com.
And if you like this trend– but not enough to go looking for new outfits –consider using accessories to give your wardrobe basics a boho flair.
Lucky Brand Handbag, Sweet Solace Leather Patchwork Hobo at Macys.com, Womens Shirred V-Neck Tees at OldNavy.com, Skinny Dark Wash Jeans at BananaRepublic.com, Cord Blazers at OldNavy.com, Beaded Earrings at OldNavy.com, and
FRYE Ruby Ring Flat Skimmer Shoes at Endless.com.