I searched high and low for the best lip stains and I have compiled a list below. I know a lot of you complain that lip stains either don’t last long enough, are too dry or don’t come in good colors, so I’ve made a point to list the pros and cons with each product so you can make the best possible decision the next time you pick up a new lip stain.
Best Lip Stains
In Short: A natural lip stain that is clinically proven to increase lips’ moisture content by 6000%. This proprietary blend effectively increases skin’s water content for a ‘plumped up’ appearance leaving lips defined, smoothed, and hydrated. The result is naturally fuller, healthier lips without any irritation or stinging. Comes in 6 natural looking shades and convenient crayon-like “gel” application.
PROS: Not drying at ALL. Goes on smooth, feels silky, doesn’t dry out and lasts several hours or more. Natural and cruelty-free!
CONS: Doesn’t last all day. Only comes in 6 shades. Little bit expensive.
In Short: Tarte Rise & Shine Stain And Lip Enhancing Gloss is a gel-based tint for lips with a natural rosy glow that stays all day. The lip-enhancing gloss gives the appearance of fuller lips, for a pout that’s pretty and polished. Which means even after gloss wears away the lip tint remains.
PROS: Long lasting color that stays all day long. Stain is non-drippy, precise application, and nice plumping gloss. Great 2-in-1 product. Natural and cruelty-free!
CONS: Only 4 colors to choose from. Can dry lips out if you don’t keep something on top like lip gloss.
Good Lip Stains
In Short: An innovative new lipstick that delivers precision application and color that lasts, without the sticky, heavy film layer of many traditional lipsticks. Lips feel bare, look beautiful – what more could a woman want from her lipcolor?
PROS: Excellent application, pleasant scent, lasts several hours or more, acceptable number of color choices to choose from and the price!
CONS: Dries out lips if you don’t moisturize first. Don’t use in the winter!
In Short: Benefit Benetint is a kiss-proof and waterproof, indelibly sheer tint that can be used on lips and cheeks.
PROS: Double duty, can be used on cheeks or lips. Two colors to choose from that are universally flattering.
CONS: The price. It’s also so sheer it’s almost unnoticeable. Brush application leaves a lot to be desired. Dries lips out if you don’t moisturize beforehand and wear lip gloss on top.
How To Make The Most of Lip Stain
If you’re stuck with a lipstain you aren’t crazy about, it might not really be as bad as you think. Try these tips with your lip stain and see if it helps target some of the common issues with lip stain.
1. MOISTURIZE – You have to moisturize your lips like a mad woman, no matter what you put on your lips and especially if you leave them bare. Find a lip balm that you like and keep them all over the house, in your purse, in your car (not during the summer!) and of course, in your makeup bag. After YEARS of reviewing about a hundred different lip balms, I prefer and recommend the following:
- Burt’s Bees Beeswax Lip Balm – $3.00
- Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15 – $22.00
- Lypsyl Lypmoisturizer Original Formula – $4.00
- Clinique Superbalm Lip Treatment – $12.00
- Erno Laszlo Transphuse Lip Phixative Surgiceutical – $50.00
2. EXFOLIATE – The easiest way to keep lips in the best shape of their life is exfoliating them lightly with Laura Geller Lip Strip Cooling Sugar Scrub or your favorite facial scrub at least 2x a month. For weekly maintenance, try Tarte frxtion natural sugar lip exfoliant and soothing balm or The Body Shop Lip Scuff.
3. NO BITING – This can be a hard one in winter, I know. Do whatever you need to do to avoid this habit. Keep your nervous teeth busy with chewing gum, lollipops and keep tic tacs nearby. Prevent dry skin to nibble on by following the above two tips at all times. And if you think you might slip up and end up biting those little lips of yours, slather then with Huge Lips Skinny Hips, so at least you can suppress your appetite.