As most of you know, 2020 has been quite a year! Trying to stay calm during a pandemic and find safe hobbies to do can feel like a chore. We all have our own way of de-stressing, but one way to do this, is to work on a garden of your very own!
There is a truly satisfying feeling to cultivating a garden, and watching your plants grow. It is even more satisfying to further cultivate your garden and beautify it to the best of your abilities. However, before you even get started on this project, you should have a set plan. Here are 6 practical tips on how to beautify your garden:
1. Choose Your Plants Wisely
If you want to truly cultivate and beautify your garden, you should be discerning when it comes to your plants. Remember that your plants are an integral part of your garden. When you choose your plants, you should make sure that it is compatible with your plants. It would be such a waste if you invested money on a plant, only for it to die because your garden soil can’t give it the nutrients it needs to stay healthy.
Aside from your plants being compatible with your garden, you should also make sure that your garden has enough space for you to plant it. Your plants should have ample space and roots should never interlap with one another, because the plants will have to compete with one another for nutrients.
2. Use Various Light Options in Your Garden Decor
If you want to beautify your garden, your lighting is by far one of the most important elements. No matter how beautiful or rare your plants are, no one will be able to see it if your lighting is subpar. It is a good idea to make your lighting as varied as possible.
You can hang lights amongst your plants. This will give them shape and highlight their unique features. You could also use neon lights to create signs or line your garden furniture with neon lighting. Back in the day, neon lights were not really an option because they were very fragile and it costs a lot of money to construct them. However, with the rise of companies such as Ginde Star, neon lights have become more flexible and affordable. With the new innovations in neon light technology, you can now create your very own neon flex signs with minimal effort or cost.
3. Utilize Stone Elements
If you want to beautify your garden and make it stand out, you should use stone elements. These elements could come in the form pillars, stone steps, statues, fountains or practically anything you can think of. What matters is that these stone elements complement your plants and don’t become an eyesore.
4. Choose Your Grass Carefully
Yet another aspect to consider when you are trying to beautify your garden is that you should take seriously is your choice of grass. Remember that the grass is one of the highlights of any garden. It is what covers your lawn the most, and it is what will bring the whole garden together aesthetically. There are many types of grass, and you will need to choose your options carefully. The most widely used lawn grass are the following.
- Bermudagrass: This type of grass has pointed leaves, and is capable of forming a thick and dense lawn. It spreads from below the ground, and should be watered regularly. Maintenance wise, it can be cut very short and you won’t have to mow it too many times throughout the year.
- Centipede Grass: This grass type is notched and has a light greenish color. Growth wise it sprouts horizontally from the ground and is capable of growing very dense. Due to its short growth, it does not need to be trimmed regularly. It needs to be watered consistently in order for it to grow thickly.
- St.Augustine Grass: This grass type has rounded tips and rough leaves. It is highly resistant to heat and damage, and can survive in swampy conditions. Due to its coarse nature, it can be difficult to trim. Mechanized equipment is best used for this type of grass.
- Zoysia Grass: The Zoysia grass variety has coarse, stiff leaves that grows slowly. It is very resilient, and does not need to be watered often. During cold months the grass tends to go dormant and have a more brownish tinge.
- Fine Fescue: The Fine Fescue grass has thin, pointed leaves. It is quite durable and can stand hot weather. This type of grass is fast-growing, and can handle temperature changes easily.
5. Be Considerate With Your Neighbors
If you are going to beautify your garden, you should make sure that it is not at the cost of your neighbor’s comfort. If you live in a sparsely populated community, it is ok to plant whatever tree you want. It is ok to hang up aggressively bright lights. However, if you live in a heavily populated neighborhood, then it is not a good idea to plant a durian tree or install overly bright lights all over your area. Remember that you are free to do whatever you want with your garden, however if it negatively affects your neighbors, then you will have to make some changes immediately.
6. Stay Consistent
It is a lot of fun to try out a new garden design, or to cultivate a new plant. However, when it comes to creating a truly beautiful garden you should make sure that you put in the work. Remember that plants are living things, and they will wilt if you don’t take care of them properly. So if you are serious in creating your dream garden, you should be consistent in your garden maintenance. Once it begins to flourish, you’ll be able to make gift baskets and give them to friends or sell them!
There is a certain satisfaction in cultivating and beautifying your garden by yourself. However, before you start on your project, you should have a clear plan of action. The tips above will help you along the way.