There are countless reasons why everyone should start using reusable bags and we’re going to tell you just a couple of them…
1. 14 plastic bags contain enough petroleum to drive your car 1 mile.
2. It can cost your city 17 cents per bag to dispose of it.
3. One plastic bag takes 450 years to biodegrade. Imagine 10 billion of them!
4. The production of paper bags causes 70% more pollution than plastic.
5. When plastic bags finally degrade, they end up on the ocean floor, appearing much like plankton. Fish mistakenly eat it and then you eat that fish. NOT healthy!
6. Plastic bags are made of 1 part pulp to 400 parts water. That is a huge waste of clean water!
7. If every person who lives in NYC used just one less grocery bag, it would reduce waste by 5 million pounds and save $250,000 in disposal costs!
So do your part and start using reusable bags. At the grocery store, at the mall, and where ever you would end up needing a plastic bag. No, it’s not convenient at first. For the first month or so, you’ll forget to bring the reusable bags with you, but if you keep at it, you can get in the habit of making sure you have them. They will become as important as grabbing your cell phone and keys as you’re heading out the door.
Some reusable bags are boring and don’t give us much of an incentive to carry them around. That’s why I was delighted to find Goody Green Bags!
Goody Green Bags are eco-trendy reusable bags for the style conscious and environmentally friendly shopper. All bags are made from non-woven polypropylene – a coated, water resistant material that is light-weight, durable, fire resistant and washable. Each bag easily fits 2 gallons of milk plus additional groceries. Plus, they fold down into compact envelope size and opens to a full size tote bag. See below…
Goody Green Bag was selected as the official “loot bag” for the American Music Awards on 11/23/08. Their bags were distributed to over 100 VIP Celebrities in the gifting suite. They also participated in the 2009 Oscar and Golden Globe pre-parties as an effort to encourage celebrities to take a simple step towards saving the Planet. We were also featured in the LA Times and Chicago Tribune recently.
I have about 10 different reusable bags and Goody Green Bags are one of my favorites. It’s way cooler than my plain purple Hannaford one. I much prefer to bring the stylish ones with me to TJ Maxx or the Mall. It’s really chic to pull out a reusable bag at the checkout and I always compliments on my Goody Green Bags.