A Fashionable Year in Review
2009 marked a year of great fashion firsts for the plus size woman AND the plus size community. If it hasn’t been declared already, 2009 marked the turning point for the Curvy Revolution- if I may call it so. As we turn the corner to a New Year in plus size fashion, we must acknowledge some of the monumental events that shaped and paved the way for us Curvy Fashionistas!
Glamour’s November Plus Size Cover
Keeping it relevant to fashion, this list is only the tip of the iceberg, as there were so many events, firsts, and WOW’s for the plus community- but today, we are kicking things off with plus size fashion firsts!
- New Designers and Boutiques: Kingley and Posh, CarmaKoma, Lotis, Disismi,Chocolate Sushi Couture, CoQo Clothing, Heavenly Curves, INES Clothing, La Dan’s Closet, La Grande Dame, Marie Denee
- Fast Fashion retailer, Forever 21, launches Faith 21
- Plus Size Designers, Gayla Bentley Survives the Shark Tank and Qristal Frazier is“IN” on Project Runway
- Plus Size Spread in Glamour
- Plus Size Model Crystal Renn Drops her Memoir- Hungry
- International Plus Size Designer Elena Miro shows in Milan Fashion Week
- Designer Mark Fast causes a stir In London
- Plus Size Magazines:
- Marie Claire brings us the first Plus Size Columnist
- Full Figured Fashion Week Hits New York
The Re- Launch of SKORCH Magazine
Venus Diva’s new look with Daily Venus Diva
Plus Model Mag introduces the PSIP– Plus Size Industry Professionals
Belle Noir Magazine gets a new look
Manik Magazine splashes onto the scene
Now, while there were many more fashion events and groundbreaking stories that garnered much attention, these are the events that strike the strongest chord, have created the most buzz, and forced the world to pay attention- fashionably speaking, to the plus size woman.