Source: Better Homes and Gardens
Makes: 24 cookies
Prep: 1 hour
Bake: 8 minutes
Rating: 4 stars
* 1 cup butter or margarine (2 sticks), softened
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 1 egg
* 1/3 cup mild-flavored molasses
* 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
* 2 tablespoons orange juice
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup whole wheat flour
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
* 2 to 3 tablespoons honey
* Raisins, snipped dried apricots, and sunflower nuts
1. In a large mixing bowl beat butter or margarine with electric mixer on medium speed until softened (about 30 seconds). Add brown sugar and beat until fluffy.
2. Add the egg, molasses, finely shredded orange peel, and orange juice. Beat the mixture well.
3. In another bowl stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, salt, and cloves. Stir into the butter mixture. Cover and chill in the refrigerator about 2 hours or until firm enough to roll out.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Divide dough in half. Chill 1 half. On a lightly floured surface roll out other half so it’s 1/4 inch thick. Cut with cookies cutters. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool 1 minute. With pancake turner lift onto cooling rack.
5. For icing, mix softened cream cheese and honey until of piping consistency. Pipe icing onto cooled cookies. Decorate with raisins, apricots, and sunflower nuts. Store in refrigerator. Makes 24 cookies.