for: Apple Shape
These are the top ten items that every woman should have in her wardrobe is she has an apple shape figure.
1. Straight leg jeans or boot leg jeans – You want jeans the fit your hips and thighs and make a straight line down to your feet. Jeans that are baggy up top and skinny at the ankles will not flatter your figure. You want jeans that fit you in the thigh area and either go straight down from there or flare slightly towards the ankle. I recommend a rise that comes just below the waist. Depending on your size, you can also get away with wearing a low rise jean. A great fitting pant for your figure would be Boot-Cut jeans by Old Navy.
2. Black pants and white pants – These are both essential items for every woman. You can wear either pair with any color shirt and shoe combination you can think of. You want to use the same fit rules above as you do for pants. I recommend a stretch material such as a cotton/spandex blend. A great fitting pant for your figure would be the Christie Fit pant by Victoria’s Secret.
3. Slim fitting Blazer – A great fitting blazer in any color or material is a must-have. This is a piece you will use over and over again. You can wear it on top of a simple t-shirt for a completely new look. It’s perfect on top of dresses, tank tops, sweaters, and more. If you find one that fits you great, you will wear it over and over again. I recommend buying one in a cotton blend or stretch material. Avoid linen as it will require ironing and special care. Remember that it’s very important that your blazer jacket comes to right to your waist. Remember to purchase clothes to fit the largest part of your chest. This may require you to take some of your shirts in at the waist to achieve a perfect fit. A great fitting blazer for your figure would be the Stretch Cotton fitted jacket by Victoria’s Secret.
4. Stretch poplin shirt – Every woman should have a white, long sleeved, button down shirt. It’s crisp, clean, and smart looking. It’s easy to throw on, goes well with anything from jeans to skirt, or even shorts. Wear it to work or wear it to dinner. Either way, you’ll look stylish and sexy. I recommend a stretch material because you don’t want to have to tuck your shirt back in every time you raise your arms. Remember to fit the shirt to the largest part of your chest. You don’t want the buttons to pull at your breasts. You may need to purchase clothes a size larger than you are used to and then have them taken in by a tailor. A great fitting poplin shirt can be found at Victoria’s Secret.
5. A-Line Skirt – Women with an apple figure look great and well balanced in an A-line skirt. The skirt flares out at the knee to balance out your large chest. This will help you achieve the look of an hour glass figure. Purchase skirts in a solid neutral color so it will match the rest of your clothes. Make sure the skirt fall just below or right at the knee. I recommend something in a 100% cotton or a stretch cotton blend. A great fitting pencil skirt for your figure would be the A-line Gathered Skirt from The Gap
6. A Little Black Dress – Everyone knows, no matter what shape you are, every lady needs a little black dress. Women with an apple figure should look for dresses with an a-line skirt. A great example of a dress that would look fantastic on your figure is the Cotton lawn wrap dress from Banana Republic.
7. Shirts with Scoop Neckline – Because your your chest is much larger than your waist and hips, you want to deemphasize that. Choose shirts that have a scoop neckline and plain fronts. If you have too much “going on” like ties or prints on your shirt, you are going to look bulky. My favorite shirt materials are cotton blends, jersey, and stretch blends. A great example of a nice fitting shirt for you is this nice Lightweight Jersey Shirt from Forever 21.
8. Chino Bermuda Shorts – Shorts that will look best on you would come right to your knee or right above the knee. If you are 5’4″ or shorter, don’t wear capris or “high water waders”. They will make you look top heavy. If you are over 35, be careful wearing very short shorts. Shorts that fall away from the body a little bit are best. Skin tight shorts are not recommended for your figure. Wearing loose fitting shorts look best on your figure. A great example of the perfect shorts for you are the Chino Bermuda Short from Banana Republic.
9. Wrap Tops – Since you have larger breasts, you want to make sure they are fully supported. Never wear shirts without a bra. Halter tops are not for you. Stick to beautiful wrap tops or shirts with built in support bras to help lock and load the girls. Be careful how low your v-neck shirts go. I recommend wearing a scoop neck camisole underneath your shirts that have plunging necklines. And never wear cropped shirts! An example of a great top is this Wrap Shirt with Sash from Victoria’s Secret.
10. Shoes! – You are free to wear almost any style of shoe. However be careful with shoes that make your feet look small. If your feet look small, that will make you look top heavy. Stilettos make your legs look miles long if you wear them with skirts or shorts. Ballet flats can make your legs look short, unless you wear them with jeans or pants. Wedges and espadrilles are going to be the best option for you though. And remember, keep your sneakers in the gym, your flip flops in the house and at the pool, and your garden clogs or “crocs” in the garden!!
Now get out and start shopping! Have any questions about what you read here today? Leave a comment or email me!