Women who are working are more prone to gaining weight and becoming physically unfit as they are more exposed to stress and less sleep. Working out eases the stress and anxiety at work therefore keeping your mind more relaxed. Exercise can improve your performance and keep you in a good mood.
For workouts to be effective they go hand in hand with what we eat before and after an exercise. Women have more calories to burn and they have less muscle mass which makes it necessary to check what to eat and the amount taken while still working out. Pre-exercise and post exercise nutrition is important as it provides essential raw materials needed in the body before and after a workout.
PRE WORKOUT MEALS
A meal before exercise is important as it provides the body with energy. It is also necessary to keep your body hydrated. This way one is able to sustain the energy needed and boost the performance for workout. For women, the meals should contain between 30-45 grams of whole grains, vegetables and fruits.
- Vegetables and fruits are good sources of fiber and nutrients. Vegetables are good for women since they contain low calorie content. Examples of vegetables are cabbages, cauliflower, carrots, sweet potatoes and tomatoes among many more. Sweet potatoes are known to have high fiber content that help with reducing blood cholesterol levels.
- Whole grains are good sources of fiber. The intake should be between 25-35 grams. Adding grains to your diet as a woman help to control weight as they make you feel full and also regulate your blood sugar. Whole grains include grains like barley, corn, millet, oats and sorghum.
- Intake of fats is also important as it slows down the digestion therefore maintaining the blood glucose in the body. Sources of fats include fish, whole milk, cheese and butter. Nutritional drinks like smoothie made with a mixture of fruits such as bananas, mango and beetroot can make good refreshment before working out.
- Protein is essential for body building and responsible for strong muscles. It is therefore important to consume proteins before exercising since it works as an aid for effective exercise. The protein intake for women should be between 20-25 grams. Eggs, meat, milk and beans are among sources of protein.
POST WORKOUT MEALS
- By the time you are through with some workouts your energy level is low. Food intake is necessary so as to regain energy meant for increasing the body metabolism. Carbohydrates are good sources of energy. They include of starchy foods such as rice, potatoes, wheat and other grains. Women should take carbohydrates with more nutritional value like dairy foods, vegetables and fruits.
- It is recommended to take meals with low fat content after working out and to also take drinks with low calorie level like water. A dark chocolate is known to be healthy snack for women. It improves the blood flow and controls the blood sugar in the body. It is also known to be rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. The intake of the right meals that provide a combination of minerals, nutrients, vitamins, fats, proteins and other raw materials needed in the body helps with the supply of the energy in the system, build and make our muscles strong and boost our recovery after exhaustion.
- Working women should adopt the habit of working out and eating nutritional meals. This combination highly increases the performance in all areas of activity as it reduces stress levels and tiredness. It also allows more creativity and improves your memory. E111 is important for working women who are looking forward to living healthy and fit.
Flora is a part time medical student, who shares her view regarding health issues on many blogs. She is conducting a research on e111 card (European health insurance card).