Image by: Scott Moore
Selecting prom make-up may seem difficult as you contemplate whether to accent the eyes or lips and which moisturizer to use. Many times, this depends on the prom dress and what kind of look you’re going for. Hopefully these tips will help you prepare your daughter for prom night.
Selecting Make-Up for Your Red Prom Dress
If you’ve already chosen a gorgeous red prom dress then you’re well on your way as you already understand the importance of skin tones and the shades of red. If you have a cooler complexion, you’ll look more flattering in a pinky-red dress, lipstick and nail polish, while warmer complexions or Asian skin tones look better in fire engine red gowns and make-up choices. No matter which color choices you choose, you need a good skin care regimen to last the entire night and some accented colors.
Here are Some Tips
Begin with an elaborated skincare regimen as regardless of what kind of make-up you use you’ll need a quality cleanser, moisturizer, and concealer. Use an exfoliating scrub to improve your skin’s circulation and a sugar scrub to exfoliate your lips. Apply a tinted moisturizer with a sponge to give your skin a fresh, dewy glow. If you want to accentuate your glow, add some powder or blush in a shade near your skin tone.
For a fresh-faced, flirty look, combine a figure-hugging prom dress with a natural make-up look. After applying your sheer-tinted moisturizer, add some soft blush and a smoky eye shadow to add just a pop of color. Since you decided to play up your eyes, stick to a shimmery lip gloss in a pink tone instead. Finish your look by curling your lashes and beginning at the base of each lash and working towards the ends. Apply a voluminous mascara to complete your look.
For a fun, feminine look that makes you feel like a princess, choose from a selection of red prom dresses that’s perfect for you with a flared ballroom skirt and pair it with softer make-up tones. Apply a cream blush in rose, using a brush to blend it. Use a neutral shade like brown or taupe for your eyes, beginning by outlining them with a brown eye pencil and then add a touch of brown eye shadow. Finish your eyes with one coat of black mascara. Apply a creamy red lipstick with a lipstick brush to avoid mistakes. Add a little lip gloss for a sheer finish.
Other Prom Make-Up Tips
- Use oil-fee products and waterproof eyeliner and mascara to avoid smearing or runny make-up once you begin sweating after hours of dancing.
- Choose to highlight your eyes or your lips but not both as it may look overdone and not fun and sexy.
- Prep your lips before adding lipstick by applying a little foundation near and over your lips. This helps to define your lip lines. You can further define your lip lines by drawing around them with a red lip-liner before applying lipstick.
- Comb your eyebrows into shape so they provide definition. If needed, use a light eyebrow pencil that brings out the color of your eyes.
- Select a clear or pink nail polish or splurge on a French manicure so your nail polish and lipstick don’t clash in shades of red.
Whether you select a fun and flirty look or a romantic princess look, your total beauty should shine through, beginning with your face. Remember, even though it is Prom night, you want your true self to still radiate through.