Every season we need new ideas to decorate our natural nails or acrylic nails and this season is no different – except that it is!
Heading out of winter, and feeling the sun on us (well, most of us with any luck), things are looking spring-like. Muted pastels seem fitting for the beginning of the season and I’ve been waiting all winter to break out those shades!
Another must-try nail color that would be great for Easter is Sally Hansen Hoppily Ever After Duo Pack with Jelly Belly!
But now there’s a new nail trend on the street – Rainbow Nails! Kendall Jenner is a fan, so they must be good, right? The supermodel has gone from cow print to vibrant, and I mean verging on fluorescent vibrant, rainbow colors!
Although she sported a different matte color on each nail, others have taken this a step further by having a vivid rainbow effect on each individual nail. From lines of straight, unmixed colors, to stunning fading and shading effects, the rainbow nail, in all its glory, is bang on trend.
Just recently I saw a gorgeously dramatic splatter effect in rainbow colors. So, how do you go about creating them? Obviously, this effect works just as well on natural, acrylic or gel nails.
Spring Rainbow Nails
- Paint your nails white or another light color – this is your base
- Using a Q-tip and being careful not to get any on your nails, wipe petroleum jelly around the edge of your nail. This will help to keep your skin polish free.
- Cut some drinking straws in half
- Dip one end of a halved straw in one of the colors you wish to use. Be careful just to touch the tip of the straw in the polish, and don’t drown it.
- Let the polish drip back into the bottle until you are left with a thin bubble-like film across the end of the straw. Although if you want a more dramatic look, skip this stage.
- Take aim and blow the polish on your nail.
See, it’s that simple, and then you just repeat with whichever colors you like. Finish off with several layers of top coat, or clear polish, and show them off!
Another simple, but awesome, way to create a more subtle, shaded rainbow look is by sponging. This is even prettier if you use glitter polish.
Sponge Paint Rainbow Nails
- Paint a base coat of white
- Cut up an ordinary household sponge into pieces that are approx an inch square.
- Making sure your nails are ready for the color, paint stripes or patches) of color onto the sponge
- If you want to dab any excess polish off the sponge, it’ll leave a more subtle effect on your nails
- Carefully ‘roll’ the sponge across your nail, or if you prefer a more dynamic look, just put press the sponge against your nail.
Again, finish with a coat of clear polish.
There are so many beautiful spring colors for nails so feel free to express yourself and try something new! By adding glitter top coats like Sally Hansen Color Filters or nail stickers, the look becomes even more ‘you’.