Source: Better Homes and Gardens
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 25 minutes
Bake: 40 minutes
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 2 5-ounce cans (1-1/3 cups) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
- Pomegranate seeds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degree F.
2. To caramelize sugar, melt the 1-1/3 cups sugar in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat, shaking the skillet occasionally. When the sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until sugar is golden brown. Remove skillet from heat; immediately pour the caramelized sugar into eight ungreased 6-ounce custard cups. Holding cups with pot holders, quickly tilt to evenly coat bottoms of cups.
3. Place cups in two 2-quart square baking dishes. Stir together eggs, pumpkin, evaporated milk, the 1/2 cup sugar, pumpkin pie spice, orange peel, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Pour the pumpkin mixture over caramelized sugar in cups. Place the baking dishes on the oven rack. Pour boiling water into the baking dishes around cups to a depth of 1 inch.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the centers comes out clean. Remove cups from water. Cool slightly on wire rack. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
5. To serve, loosen edges of custards with a knife, slipping the point of a knife down the sides to let in air. Invert a dessert plate over each custard, turn cup and plate over together. Scrape the caramelized sugar that remains in cup onto the custard. If desired, garnish with pomegranate seeds.
Doesn’t this look delicious?!!! Let us know if you love this recipe and please share it with your friends so they can enjoy it too!