While speaking of a kitchen generally reminds us of the different gadgets that we operate in order to dish out appetizing food, there are many other essential items which also play a very important role. One such essential accessory is the kitchen towel which is largely ignored when talking of the kitchen yet it plays a very vital role in the kitchen and helps to keep it efficiently functional and sanitized.
Main Types of Kitchen Towels
While the style, look, and design of the towels help it to blend in harmoniously with the kitchen décor, its differentiation is generally based on:
- The weave and material
- The function it performs
Kitchen Towels Based On Weaves and Materials
Based on the material of the towel and the way in which they are woven, kitchen towels can be differentiated into the following categories:
- Waffle weave towels are made of super absorbent cotton and are generally used to dry large pots, pans and also wet hands too!
- Terrycloth towels are characterized by their high power of absorption. They are made of cotton and are incorporated with loops which makes them ideal as counter towels, hand towels, dish and bar mop towels.
- Flour sack cotton towels serve many different purposes since they are good absorbers and lint-free. It is always best to buy flour sack tea towels in bulk since they can be used:
- As a lining for bread baskets,
- For drying glassware,
- Polishing things made of silver,
- Dusting surfaces and
- Covering a rising dough.
- Flatweave 100 percent cotton towels can be used not only as an absorbent but also as an insulator, when folded, for holding handles and edges of hot pots and pans as well as moving them from one place to another,
- Paper towels with their varied weaves and absorbencies again have multi-purpose uses and thus need to be purchased in bulk. Some of their uses are:
- Raising dough,
- Wiping counters and cleaning surfaces,
- Lining bread baskets,
- Drying glasses and dishes,
- Polishing shiny surfaces etc.
It is always better to keep different types of towels separately and also ensure that they are washed once before first-time use. Kitchen towels should also be periodically cleaned after that so as to maintain the hygiene and sanitation of the kitchen.
Kitchen Towels Based On Function
Depending on the function it performs, kitchen towels can be classified into different categories too:
Normally dish towels are made of terry cloth and are used for drying pots, pans, dishes and even kitchen utensils.
Flour Sack Towels
These are the most popular type of towels these days because of their farmhouse style and their ability to play multiple roles in the kitchen like:
- Drying glassware, bone chinaware as well as cutlery,
- As beautiful tea table spreads thereby increasing the beauty of the tea-table and
- As an insulator for keeping teapots, biscuits, muffins or scones warm by covering them up.
Hand towels, as the name suggests, are generally used to dry wet hand after washing and thus need to be cleaned with relatively more frequently. They can also be used to mop up messes and keep the kitchen counters clean of spills, water splashes etc.
Shop The Post