Here are Kiss Me, Stace’s fashion predictions for early 2007.
1. Black and white will remain from winter through Spring, for the new season in light fabrics and airy shapes. Watch for stripes in different variations and lots lots lots of black/white floral.
2. Light and airy will be true with volume being played by consumers this time, and not just designers. After last year’s success with the bubble skirt, fashionistas will take that piece and go on with ball-appropriate knee length dresses, loose shirt dresses, and full 50s skirts.
3. Float-away blazers and light sweaters.
4. Watch for women playing with sheer pieces, especially tops. Hopefully it will all be done tastefully and with some art.
6. Menswear trousers and for the mild; trouser jeans.
7. Silk dresses.
8. Grey, white, black, pink, yellow, orange (darker, more muted is better), navy, teal, slate, red, silver …
1. Patent, patent, patent, patent, patent leather!
2. BIG bags, naturally. It might peak this Spring though (especially with Chanel’s Coco Cabas bag).
3. Big sunglasses? Still in. God, stay in!
4. Chain necklaces, ribbons and pearls done in a modern, hip way.
5. Louboutin bags will debut in a huge way.
6. The ridiculous price increases won’t stop, and absolutely will not stop until consumers (and actually consumers’ wallets) protest in a meaningful way (taking away $$$). Will that happen in 2007? Unlikely.
1. More peep toes.
2. Hopefully closed-toe wedge flats.
3. Ankle straps.
4. Patent leather, of course. Done in a strictly grown-up style, this time.
5. Basic black or colored flats, think Audrey Hepburn shape.
6. Comfort’s coming back people – I feel it. But I think this time comfort will put in effort to become stylish and perhaps vice versa – you won’t have to hunt so hard, hopefully.
Final note: The fight against anorexia in fashion (or however you want to view it) will continue. 2007 will be a great year for the acceptance movement. Bring it on!