Eating Well, Living Better: The Grassroots Gourmet Guide
to Good Health and Great Food
By: Dr. Michael Fenster
Everyone loves to eat. And everyone wants to be healthy. But how do we navigate between today’s extremes—between those offering us gastronomic gluttony and the siren song of convenient junk food and those preaching salvation only through deprivation and boring food choices? Dr. Michael Fenster draws upon his expertise and training as an interventional cardiologist and as a chef to forge a path through this wilderness to offer readers a middle path that endorses both fine dining and health eating. As a chef and foodie, and someone who has battled the bulge himself, he knows that if the food doesn’t taste great, no one will sustain any program for a lifetime.
Here, Dr. Mike introduces the idea of becoming a Grassroots Gourmet. Being a Grassroots Gourmet is all about using fresh, wholesome ingredients, from local sources when you can get them. It’s about the judicious use of salt, sugars, and fat to create wonderfully appealing and tasty, restaurant-worthy dishes. You do not need to be a trained chef; a few simple techniques, described here, go along way. As a physician, chef, and martial arts expert, Dr. Mike combines knowledge from all three fields to present a cooking and dining program that recognizes our desire to eat great food without gaining weight and without sacrificing our health along the way. Revealing the latest data on previously forbidden foods like red meat and foie gras, Dr. Mike describes why these can be delicious AND healthy choices. He guides the reader step-by-step through a philosophy of eating and living that is sustainable and enjoyable once the commitment is made, and offers original, kitchen-tested recipes, and information about various food choices.
Retail: $18 (Get it for $13 on amazon)
The Fashionable Housewife’s 3 Steps To Living Better
- 1. Take Probiotics for Women daily to keep your gut in good health. For a deep “spring cleaning”, try Candida Advanced Cleanse to balance intestinal bacteria and treat candida symptoms.
- 2. Tank up on Vitamin D! Here Comes the Sun™ from HUM Nutrition is high in Vitamin D3, which is regarded as superior to D2 by many scientists. This vitamin is considered essential for calcium absorption, skin protection, and healthy bones and teeth.
Immunity Boosting Smoothie
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1-2 small navel oranges, peeled and pulled apart into wedges
1 kiwi, peeled
1 cup raw spinach or kale
1 ounce Sea Buckthorn 100
1 ounce Mangosteen 100
1 Tbsp. raw honey
1 Tsp. cayenne
A few ice cubes
Water as desired
1. Place all ingredients in a high-powered blender.
2. Add enough water to reach desired consistency.
3. Blend for 30-45 seconds, pour in a glass and enjoy!
What steps do you take to eat better and live a healthier lifestyle?