Cowgirl boots are some of the most versatile pieces of footwear a girl can have in her wardrobe. Most people assume that they have to be styled like you are in a country music video: only to be worn with cutoff shorts and plaid shirts.
They couldn’t be more wrong!
Cowgirl boots can be worn to accentuate a lovely, earth-toned dress or a contemporary version of the classic jeans and a t-shirt. No matter your fashion sense, there’s sure to be a way that you can incorporate your favorite pair of cowgirl boots into your existing wardrobe.
Jeans are one of the most versatile wardrobe staples that we have in our closets, and paired with cowgirl boots, they can really go the extra mile. Go for fun, funky, and chic when you pair them with cut off shorts; contemporary, conservative, and formal when paired with boot cut jeans; or loose, relaxed, and casual when you tuck them into skinny jeans.
Image via Flickr User Victoria Timokhina
- Under Your Jeans – When it comes to sporting an under the jeans look, you may want to stick to a wide leg, flare, or big bell boot cut jeans just for the aesthetics. Remember to take the shaft of the boot into consideration when you are trying to find the right pair of jeans. For longer shafts with a looser fit, you’ll want to have a wider leg. For more form-fitting shafts, go with a wide-leg or good sized boot cut. This prevents extra bunching which can break up your look at make it look sloppy. The under the jeans look also gives you the ability to spend more time choosing the right toe and heel, which can elongate your leg or give you more height. If you want to go with a more daring look, a pointed toe is a great way to get that dynamic look without showing off too much of your boot. When wearing boots that are under jeans, you want to aim for a taller heel because that helps to keep the fabric up and away when you are walking – and tripping is never, ever in style.
- Over Your Jeans – This is for all the ladies who love the skinny jean look and have a fabulous pair of chic and elaborate boots they want to show off. After all, these things are expensive, so why hide them away under denim? Footwear influencers will tell you that skinny jeans are an amazing pick for the over jeans look because they tuck nicely into the boot shaft. Even if you don’t have elaborate boots, tucking your jeans into simple boots allow for a classic but chic look. Skinny jeans aren’t the only style that can be worn with this style, however. Take advantage of those relaxed fit jeans with the small leg opening. Tuck them nicely into the rest of the boot shaft, so everything is straight and taut – you can even fold or peg relaxed jeans so that they won’t wrinkle up.
Image Via Flickr User mauxditty
Both of these styles allow you to don just about any kind of shirt. Try a t-shirt with a leather or canvas jacket with your skinny jeans. A plain t-shirt or lace trimmed cami with a button down shirt, or just a button down would look fantastic when paired with the first style.
Sometimes, a good pair of jeans can be a little too warm during the summer months. You might want to try a few shorter options. Now, you don’t have to go and pull out the Daisy Dukes, or get the old rodeo skirt from the closet. We all know that those are options that have stood the test of time, so what about some other options? Try these out to stand out from the crowd while posing in cute female model poses for all your Instagram pics:
- Shorts – While a good pair of jean shorts could be a good choice for your cowgirl boots, try a nice cotton pair for a different kind of look. This will allow your skin to breathe, keeping you cooler and give you a slew of color options to match to your boots. Daisy Duke shorts are a classic look, however when you switch to cotton you can try other lengths and fits.
- Skirts – Much like shorts, a good skirt will easily accentuate your boots and keep you cool. You can go with a simple, single-color skirt with a matching or complimentary design for your boots; a pleated skirt with yet another simple design or color; or a dual-layered skirt. Make sure that the colors don’t clash with your boots and don’t go too crazy with designs or patterns – you don’t want to look like a cowgirl Halloween costume. Mid-thigh to just above the knee are two good rules for finding the perfect boot skirt.
Image Via Flickr User graziedavvero
Simple is as simple does, unless you have a killer pair of tights with an amazing design on them. Even if that’s the case, you’ll want to make sure the colors aren’t too obnoxious if you plan to wear them with your boots, as that can be almost too much to look at.
- Leggings – These usually come in a slew of shades and designs. Most of the time, you’ll want to go with a good solid color legging. This will keep your boots as the focal point of your outfit, where they should be! Be sure to keep the bottoms of your leggings inside of your boots or you could stretch out the material, rendering them useless for anything else. Treat this outfit like the “over your jeans” style.
- Tights – Tights are an amazing finish for your boots and your outfit. If you don’t want to show a lot of leg with your favorite dress, you can go ahead and slip into a nice, simple pair of tights. Try not to go overboard with too many designs or wild patterns, as this can be a bit overbearing. You will also want to be careful about any studs or embellishments around the top of the boot shaft, as they can create runners in your tights.
Image Via Flickr User Logan Brumm Photography and Design
Dresses are another go to for the boot trend and mix in some of those classic pieces that all girls love.
- Airy/Flowy Dress– This look is timeless and can be somewhat innocent. If you’re looking for a casual ensemble that is just a little bit innocent, consider pairing your boots with a loose dress. These have a lot of room to breathe and don’t restrict you, but still allow to be put together and feel good. If you are going to belt the dress at the waist, consider matching the leather of the belt to your boots for a more polished look. Like most of these outfits, you’ll want to go with something simple or not over the top.
- Sweet, Simple and Classic Dress – Classic dresses include the LBD or Little Black Dress. They can also include various colors or patterns that have an A-line or pencil cut. You can pretty much have your pick of the litter with these beauties. Just avoid any boots that would have an overabundance of outrageous colors or designs. Simple is classy. Remember that brown boots and a black dress probably isn’t the best way to go either!
Last, but certainly not least, are the shirts. The garments worn on the top half of your body have just as much importance as the bottom half.
Image Via Flickr User fervent-adepte-de-la-mode
- Button Downs – This is a classic look for a lot of boots. However, don’t feel that you have to stick to plaid or tied in the front. A good, darker colored button down brings the chicness of the “under your jeans” boot cut from country to a more modern look. In fact, avoid plaids and washed out pastels if you want to look a little more formal. This will help keep your outfit looking smooth and pristine without venturing into that Halloween costume that we talked about.
- Tees – T-shirts can be worn with just about anything. You can wear them with leggings, with jeans, shorts, or skirts – basically whatever you want. The only word of caution is to look out for over the top graphics or patterns. You can safely wear a solid color tee and accessorize. it without going over the top.
These are just a few ways that you can turn your classy cowgirl boots into something a little more stylish or cutting edge. Remember to keep your cowgirl boots ready for a special occasion. or just a regular day – it is all in how you style them. Plenty of weddings even have brides that sport cowgirl boots! Don’t necessarily go for the Western look; spruce it up a bit with some city flair. Whatever you are wearing, make sure it fits into your natural style and wardrobe.
You can get good discounts on your purchase of boots and other cowboy fashion using these offers from StalkBuyLove.