Have you decided to put a new door in the room? The interior prehung door is very popular because of its high quality material, impressive appearance. After reviewing the information, how to install a prehung interior door, you will avoid difficulties with the installation.
When you buy a new door, it is recommended to pay attention to two types:
- prehung structure;
- slab model.
What is a prehung interior door? This is a product that is sold with a door frame. Choosing a prehung block with the door attached will save a lot of installation time. It has slots for door handles, which are purchased separately.
A rectangular slab is sold without a frame. It is made of wood, fiberglass or steel. The price range is an order of magnitude lower than a hinged door, but if you don’t have a door frame, a hinged door is preferable. When installing this type of door, the frame and other equipment is purchased separately.
What is a prehung door?
The product is presented as a stand-alone unit. The frame is already attached to the slab by the manufacturer. This type of door is in wide demand. The pre-assembled model can be installed even by a consumer who is doing it for the first time. It is enough to follow the simple instructions. The kit provided by the manufacturer contains all the elements that will be needed during installation:
- punched holes.
Thanks to the installed hinges, the door is easy to open and close. All you have to do is attach the doorknob.
Where could you install prehung doors?
Many users are interested in the question, what is a pre-hung door. A hinged door is a product that is attached to an existing door frame. You do not need to assemble a new frame – you have the option of assembling a prefabricated block with a door slit, hinges, and frame. The use of a hinged door is recommended in the following cases:
- during the construction period in an apartment house;
- in the case of damage to doorways (during reconstruction or repair of the home);
- as an exterior door (special watertight doors are made).
Before you install the construction, you should pay attention to the size, the material from which it is made, color, pre-hung doors guide, the width of the jambs, the aperture.
Advantages and disadvantages of prehung doors
If the room doesn’t have a pre-installed door frame, it is recommended to use the existing door. Installation won’t cause any difficulties, unless you install the product for the first time. Therefore, it is preferable to use the services of professionals.
What are the benefits of installing a hinged door type? Read more about this below:
- Simple installation that doesn’t take much time and effort. Following the simple instructions, you will easily cope with the task.
- This is the best option if the old door is damaged and needs to be replaced. Also, after the repair work, such a product will give the room a stylish look.
- During installation, the solid wood door is not deformed, does not change its properties, preserving the factory settings. Most other types of doors can be damaged during installation.
- The distance of the door from the wall is a few millimeters, which allows air to pass through. This protects the structure from rotting. The product is made of quality materials, which excludes moisture absorption, swelling. The original appearance is retained for many years of use.
- A layer of polyurethane protects the hinged door from termites.
- The door is made of environmentally friendly material. Buying this product, you take care of the environment, which is relevant today. In addition, it won’t cause allergic reactions.
- Variety of models. Modern door products market allows you to choose the product to your liking: taking into account the design of the room, in a particular style and in any color.
- This product has resistance to external influences, atmospheric changes. This fact shows that they don’t wear out, and don’t lose their primary properties over time.
Advantage of prehung doors is undeniable. They will help to make the design of the room unique. During a large-scale renovation of your home, it is the best option.
In addition to the benefits, this product has disadvantages. The main ones are:
- high cost;
- heavier compared to the plate door (difficult to install yourself);
- In some cases, adjustments are required.
When planning the cost to repair rooms, you should take this information into account. It will help you avoid unnecessary costs.
How to install prehung doors?
You will need to install the finished product. For proper actions, follow these instructions:
- Assemble the model. For quality installation you need the door itself and wooden gaskets. Use tools: pencil, tape measure, hammer with nails, hand saw, file, circular saw. It is possible to use grinding equipment.
- Until installation, it is better to keep the model in the factory stoppers.
- Make sure the surface of the aperture doesn’t contain nails or other bulging parts. Size of the aperture half an inch wider and higher than the door block.
- The door jamb should correspond to the aperture.
- Installation of the door starts with the hinge side, then move on to installing the latch side. Use nails.
- Use finishing nails to attach the upper part of the frame.
- To hold the door, add wooden gaskets.
- After installing the product, the finishing works begin.
You can install the wood door independently. If you doubt your own abilities, contact the professionals.
When doing home renovations or replacing your entrance doors, the best option is prehung doors. This will allow you to save money and install a quality product.