There’s nothing better than a tasty cocktail, but what if the cocktail was also good for you? We’ve covered several healthy cocktails that offer potential health benefits.
Ginger is a vegetable that is great for your body. It can help ward off germs and calm nausea, as well as ease sore muscles and ease arthritis. Ginger can also play a role in helping our body use insulin better, which can lower blood sugar, and for women, ginger can help ease menstrual pain. If you don’t want to make this drink yourself, there are pre-made ginger cocktail mixes you can purchase on the market.
- 4 ounces of gin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Juice half a lime
- 6-8 ounces of ginger beer
- Lime wheels for garnish
- Add the gin, turmeric, and lime juice into a cocktail shaker and add ice.
- Shake vigorously until cold.
- Strain into two highball glasses with ice.
- Add in ginger beer and garnish with a lime slice.
A moscow mule is definitely one of my favorites!
Honey and Basil Fizz
Honey provides several different health benefits. The antioxidants that are present and honey have been associated with a reduced risk of heart disease, and honey has acted as a cough suppressant for a long time. Research into the benefits of honey has shown that it is better for blood sugar and can promote wound healing.
- 1 wedge of lemon
- 2.5 tsp of honey
- 2 ounces of gin
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- Soda water
- Squeeze the lemon into a tall glass and drop in the basil leaves, along with the gin and honey.
- Add in ice and stir.
- Add in soda water and enjoy.
Lemon is a fruit that has many positive health benefits. They contain a soluble dietary fiber, which can help with healthy digestion. Lemons also contain over half the amount of vitamin C that you need in your regular diet and can not only help boost your immune system but also reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease. One delicious cocktail that you can enjoy lemon in is the popular Lemon Drop.
- 1 ½ ounces vodka
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- ½ ounce of Triple Sec
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- Sugar, for the rim
- Lemon twist, optional
- Use a lemon wedge on the rim of a chilled martini glass and dip the rim in the fine sugar.
- Make the lemon twist, optional.
- Add all of the liquids into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake.
- Strain into the chilled glass. Garnish with lemon twist if desired.
Though it is the least popular of all the fruits, kiwi has a ton of vitamin C, more than an orange. This helps to stimulate the body’s immune system. The kiwi also has properties that can help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease. With its high levels of dietary fiber, kiwi can lower cholesterol.
- 1 Kiwi
- 1.5 ounces of vodka
- 1 ounce of lemon juice
- 2.5 tsp of simple syrup
- Soda water
- Cut the kiwi in half, scooping out the flesh inside. Muddle the fruit in the cocktail shaker.
- Add in the vodka, lemon juice, and simple syrup with ice and shake for thirty seconds.
- Strain into a glass with ice and add a little soda water.
- Garnish with a slice of kiwi
A type of flowering plant, hibiscus is native to India and Malaysia, and there are hundreds of types of hibiscus in its genus. Not only do the beverages created from it taste amazing, but it also has some health benefits. Hibiscus is known for its high levels of antioxidants and the ability to fight inflammation and promote weight loss. Hibiscus margaritas are a delicious cocktail for the plant to be enjoyed in.
- 1.5 ounces of 100% blue agave blanco tequila
- 1 ounce of lime juice
- 1 ounce hibiscus tea
- 1 tbsp of agave syrup
- Chill a glass
- Place ingredients into a cocktail shaker, along with ice, and shake until cold.
- Strain into the chilled glass and enjoy.
These healthy cocktails are incredibly easy to make at home, and the health benefits they can provide are endless.