The emerald cut gemstone is one of the oldest and most revered shapes in the world of precious stones. Initially popular among royalty, the emerald cut experienced a resurgence in the 1920s during the Art Deco era. Today, celebrities such as Elizabeth Taylor, Paris Hilton, and Beyonce have been seen sporting these beautiful gems.
What is an Emerald Cut Diamond?
What makes emerald cut gems stand out is their distinctive, rectangular shape that is immediately recognizable. They are step-cut diamonds with beveled corners and up to four rows of facets, the more facets, the greater the shimmer. Due to their elongated form and large surface area on top, emerald cut diamonds are considered a “fancy” shape and often exhibit a glassy and clear appearance. When purchasing an emerald cut diamond, it is important to consider clarity, as this will have a significant impact on the overall look of the gem.
Why Choose One?
There are several compelling reasons to consider an emerald-shaped ring for your engagement ring, including its distinctive shape, increased durability, and unique shine.
- Distinctive Shape: The elongated, rectangular shape of the emerald cut immediately sets it apart and makes it a standout piece.
- Increased Appearance of Size: Due to its elongated table (top), an emerald cut diamond appears larger than a round or oval-shaped diamond of the same weight.
- Affordability: Emerald cut diamonds are often less expensive because they are less in demand and there is less waste produced during the cutting process.
- Variety of Shapes: Emerald cut diamonds come in a range of widths and lengths, offering a variety of options to choose from.
- Versatile Settings: These diamonds can be set in a range of styles, although it is recommended to keep the setting simple.
- Finger Slimming: The elongated shape of the emerald cut helps make fingers appear more slender.
- Unique Sparkle: With fewer facets, emerald cut diamonds have a more subdued shimmer than some other cuts, which many people prefer.
- Increased Durability: The beveled corners of the emerald cut shape make these stones more durable and less prone to chipping or snagging on clothing over time.
What Are the Most Popular Emerald Cut Ring Designs?
Emerald-shaped diamonds love to take center position in any engagement ring. Their size and unique shape set them apart, so a simple setting allows them to shine, quite literally. However, simple never means boring with these timeless gems. You have plenty of versions, from the classy solitaire to the shiny band pave band.
Here are the most popular designs for emerald cut engagement rings:
- Solitaire: A timeless classic, the solitaire features a single emerald cut diamond set in a simple band.
- Pave: The pave design features a band of small stones that creates a shimmering and luxurious setting for the solitaire diamond.
- Side Stones: In this design, accent stones are typically placed on the band of the ring.
- Three Stones: The three stone design features a large emerald cut diamond with smaller stones on each side, said to represent the past, present, and future.
- Halo: A halo design features a ring of smaller stones around the larger center stone, enhancing its brilliance.
- Hidden Halo: The hidden halo design features a ring of stones set below the center stone, adding sparkle from below.
Best Emerald-Shaped Engagement Rings Styles
Now, its about time to decide what is the perfect ring for you. We’ve listed the best emerald-shaped engagement ring styles to help you pick the best one for you. Lets start!
The Nelly is a stunning emerald cut solitaire engagement ring. With claw supports at each corner, it elegantly showcases the gem. The delicate band can be customized with a solid or pave setting, enhancing the brilliance of the diamond. The added touch of a hidden halo beneath the stone with a pave setting further amplifies its sparkle, making it truly radiant.
The Hidden Halo Penelope
This hidden halo engagement ring has much more bling! Firstly, the band features six stones on the side of the emerald-cut diamond. It adds a gorgeous visual detail that enhances the beauty of the solitaire diamond without detracting from it. Secondly, the halo sits just below the outside edge of the diamond and has a pave appearance, filling much of the area between the four claw supports. This creates an impressive and eye-catching sparkle, making the ring even more stunning.
If you want a bit more sparkle but still want to keep a similar appearance to the Hidden Halo Penelope, then The Lindsey may be the perfect choice for you. This ring features a signature emerald-cut diamond in the center surrounded by a hidden halo, but with the added glamor of round and marquise cut diamonds on the band. The larger marquise diamonds are particularly eye-catching and reflect light beautifully, adding even more shimmer to the ring.
The Low Profile Kamellie
The Low Profile Kamellie is perfect for the modern, busy bride-to-be who wants to add some sparkle to her life. With a large emerald cut center stone supported by corner prongs and a hidden halo of pave set diamonds, this ring is both brilliant and practical. The band is also adorned with pave set diamonds, making it a great choice for those who want a ring that is both stylish and functional. To find out more about the appeal of emerald cut engagement rings, continue reading and discover some of our top picks.
The Pave Alex
This ring is the epitome of glamorous and is sure to turn heads. The Pave Alex offers a unique blend of sophistication and sparkle that will make you feel like a star. With its continuous band of pave set diamonds, it’s a ring that’s sure to make a statement, no matter where you go. Whether you’re in the office or out on the town, this ring is sure to catch the eye and make you feel confident and beautiful.
The Twig design is perfect for those looking for an engagement ring that has a touch of nature and represents growth and unity. Its intricate band and minimalist center diamond make for a stunning and meaningful ring that will be cherished for years to come. Additionally, its unique design sets it apart from more traditional styles, making it a great choice for those seeking a one-of-a-kind ring.
Is an Emerald-Shaped Engagement Ring Right for You?
If you are looking for an engagement ring just as multifaceted and unforgettable as your relationship, take the next step with one featuring an emerald-cut diamond. It’s a great choice for those who want a unique and timeless piece of jewelry. With the various styles and settings available, you’re sure to find an emerald cut engagement ring that perfectly embodies your love and commitment. Browse the whole collection to find the right ring for you.