An engagement is a sign of commitment to another person. It’s a way to take your relationship to the next level before marriage. It’s also the start of your wedding planning season, which is filled with what seems like an endless amount of post-engagement ring purchases.
While some Pinterest boards and online guides can make your head spin with the amount of things you supposedly “need” to buy, you can certainly narrow down your purchases to fit your budget and interests. While this may not be an all-inclusive list of purchases between your engagement and your wedding day, they’re definitely some of the most important.
Here are 10 items you need to purchase after getting engaged.
1. Wedding Bands: After getting engaged comes the purchase of another kind of ring — the wedding band! Though some couples choose to buy these separately from each other, there are many options when it comes to buying his and hers wedding bands as well. There are what seems like endless options of wedding bands, but it all comes down to what you prefer personally. Some brides like a simple silver or gold band to complement their engagement ring, while others go for a super sparkly band adorned with stones. Don’t worry! There are tons of options for the men as well.
2. Groom Gift: This one doesn’t usually happen until the morning of the big day. Traditionally, a couple exchanges gifts on their wedding day before the whirlwind of festivities begins. The great thing about this gift is that it doesn’t need to be expensive. You can give your significant other a momento from your dating relationship, a heartfelt letter or any gift that represents your love for one another.
3. Celebration Day for You and Your Partner: An engagement calls for a celebration! Though you might have an engagement party with all your friends and loved ones, consider having an additional private celebration with only your significant other. This kind of intimate event will allow you to take a moment to revel in your recent decision and celebrate as a couple. Some fun options might include a couples massage or spa day, a nice dinner or even a simple and quiet night at home together.
4. Wedding Gown: Yes, after getting engaged, the wedding dress search begins! Looking for the perfect dress for your big day might take a bit of time, and you definitely don’t want to be rushed. This is why it’s a good idea to start narrowing down your search earlier rather than later. You can start by doing some preliminary online research about popular wedding dress silhouettes to see what you like and what you don’t.
5. Wedding Day Jewelry: After you’ve found the perfect dress, it’s time to accessorize with bridal jewelry. This area includes earrings, bracelets and a necklace. Though you might not choose to wear all of these, it’s still a good idea to look around and find out what works best with your dress. Think about balance here! Go for more bold earrings with a simple dress or keep things delicate with a single bracelet and understated earrings when paired with a gown that features lace designs or lots of detail.
6. Bridesmaid Gifts: Of course, you’ll want to give your girls something special for standing by you on your wedding day. Thankfully, there are many different options when it comes to a great bridesmaid gift. Some brides give their best ladies wedding day shoes or jewelry as a thoughtful gift. Others make a personalized, monogrammed or otherwise unique present for their bridesmaids.
7. “Mrs.” Accessories: After getting engaged, don’t waste any time! Stock up on bride paraphernalia when you see it because the events leading up to your wedding are the perfect place to show off these fun items. You might choose a fun tee with your new last name on it or a simple tote or clutch with an engagement ring design on it. You deserve to show off!
8. Bridal Lingerie: Your wedding day outfit not only includes a gown, shoes and jewelry, but also a new set of sexy lingerie to make the day feel even more special. You might think about purchasing a few sets that mix and match for your wedding day, wedding night and your honeymoon too. Choose what makes you feel special, confident and sexy!
9. Travel or Workout Ring: If you’re already feeling nervous about having your engagement ring on your finger all the time after getting engaged, there’s a solution. Consider buying an interchangeable ring that you can wear with or without your engagement ring, depending on its size and shape. You can buy an affordable ring substitute that gives off all the glamorous wedding ring vibes if you’re worried about wearing your original wedding ring while traveling or attending more casual events.
Weight lifters and gym-goers will also love stylish silicone wedding ring options for both men and women. These rings won’t get damaged while you’re working out or getting dirty or when you find yourself in a place that’s just simply too risky for your engagement ring.
10. Engagement Ring Case: If you do choose to travel with your engagement ring after getting engaged, you’ll want to keep it safe from harm while you’re not wearing it. Buying a dedicated engagement ring case will keep your ring safe and away from your other jewelry so it doesn’t get misplaced. You don’t need to be traveling to buy one of these, either. It’s also a great item to have in your bedroom or by the sink in your kitchen or bathroom.