Wedding season is upon us! Most weddings happen between May and October. If you’ve received a multitude of wedding invitations for this season, you’re probably wondering what gifts would be best for the couples whose weddings you’re attending. Whether you’re looking for engraved gift ideas or something different, here are some wedding gifts that will last the test of time!
Do I Need to Get a Wedding Gift?
Before discussing any gift ideas, let’s talk about gift etiquette. If you’ve been invited to a wedding, or you’ve been asked to be part of a wedding party, you might be wondering whether or not you need to get a gift. The short answer is: always! The long answer is that it’s disrespectful to show up to a wedding empty-handed. Even if you simply provide a card with some well wishes and cash, you should never show up to a wedding without a gift for the happy couple.
The only time it’s acceptable not to provide a gift is when the couple has specifically requested you don’t bring one, which is usually listed in the invitation, or you have paid for a piece of the wedding, such as the venue, dress or catering. If you’ve provided funding for any parts of the wedding, you should still let the couple know that you’re providing it to them as their wedding gift, so they don’t expect to receive an additional gift on their wedding day. Regardless, you should still bring a card that congratulates them on their union!
Can I Get Something Other Than What’s Listed on the Registry?
This depends. Have you found something similar to an item on the registry, but it’s not from the exact place? If so, then it’s much more acceptable than getting the couple something that’s not on their registry. Couples create registries for a reason. It’s because those are the items they need as they walk into married life together.
Maybe you can’t afford the Ninja blender on their registry, but you found one from another store that’s in your price range. That’s okay! But, providing them with something that they never asked for, or you already know they have multitudes of at home, probably isn’t a good idea.
What Should I Write in the Card?
When giving a card to the happy couple, you’ll want to write something fun, happy and congratulatory! Consider phrases such as “Congrats on your wedding!” or “Thank you for including us in your wedding.” If you have a deep personal connection to the couple, you can also include an even more heartfelt message about what their relationship means to you.
Wedding Gift Ideas
Now that we’ve covered some of the basics of gift-giving at weddings, here are some gift ideas that will make every wedding couple smile and last for years to come!
- Salad tossers: Salad tossers are great for new couples! They’re personalizable, too, so you can have their name or wedding date engraved into them to make the gift feel even more special. If these aren’t on their registry, double check that they don’t have any already. If they do, but it’s a set that doesn’t have any personalization or doesn’t appear to be good quality, then you’re clear to get it for their wedding.
- A picture frame to commemorate their wedding. They’ll be having a professional photographer at their wedding, taking lots of beautiful photos throughout their day. While their photographer might provide them with a wedding album, they’ll probably want to have one or two photos displayed on their wall or in their bedroom.
A personalized photo frame with their wedding date is a great gift to give a newlywed couple. You can also add a phrase about love, too, that will remind them of their love for one another. It’s a unique gift that every couple is sure to love. If they’re a couple that’s rescheduled their wedding due to the pandemic, it’s always safer to get them something that’s personalized but without any names or dates, as those might not be what you think they are.
- A set of glass tumblers. While typically seen as ideas of personalized gifts for him, glass tumblers are great for all newlywed couples! They will love to use their tumblers after their wedding to celebrate their union, or they can break them out throughout the years to celebrate milestones. These include their first house, their first child, graduations or even anniversaries! With a set of glass tumblers, they can use it for all their favorite drinks.
- Matching watches. The couple might get these for each other, but a set of matching watches is a great unique gift that will last for years for a newlywed couple. As long as the couple keeps their watches clean and replaces the batteries regularly, their watches are sure to last for decades. Just as plants or pets need care, as long as they take care of their watches they can both wear them for many years. They can wear their matching set of watches during all their special events together!
- An espresso maker. Who doesn’t love espresso? This is an item that some couples wouldn’t ever put on their registries because it’s so expensive, but many would love to receive one.
If you’re looking for a way to surprise the couple with a long-lasting and fun gift, an espresso maker is the way to go! They will love getting to use their espresso machine to make unique hand-crafted drinks. If you’re looking to make it extra special, consider getting them a combination machine that lets them steam milk as well. Then, they can make lattes and macchiatos for each other every morning!
- A throw blanket. You can never have enough blankets! Consider getting them a throw blanket with their wedding date embroidered on it or a blanket that has a heart pattern on it to symbolize their perfect wedding. They’ll love curling up together to watch movies or enjoy a quiet evening together.