Choosing a wedding dress is typically a once-in-a-lifetime experience. You want that warm tingly feeling where for just for a second, it feels like nothing else matters other than how good you feel in your bridal gown!
However, with so much pressure to pick the right dress, finding the perfect bridal outfit is often easier said than done. So, in this article, we’re revealing some of the most popular wedding dress trends to help you stumble across your perfect frock.
Sounds good? Great. Let’s dig in.
Picking a Dress According to Your Wedding Theme
When it comes to picking the dress of your dreams, many brides are influenced by their choice of wedding theme. So, with that said, popular wedding themes for this year include:
- Netflix themed – think Bridgerton
- Open-air tents
- Hanging florals
- Art-inspired themes – postmodern, graphic design, etc
- Silver and technicolor
Of course, these are just a few of the hundreds of potential themes you could have for your wedding – but you get the gist! Once you have a theme in mind, you might find it easier to pick the kind of dress you want.
It’s probably no surprise that sustainability is increasingly prevalent within the wedding industry. From bamboo placeholders to recyclable cutlery, sustainable wedding dresses are also entering the market with a bang.
There are lots of ways you can factor sustainability into your choice of wedding dress:
- Going vintage: Some styles never go out of fashion, and with vintage dresses, you get all the class and elegance of past eras while saving the waste that comes with wearing a brand new dress.
- Custom materials: Another option that gives you lots of flexibility is to design the dress from scratch, choosing sustainable materials to create your ideal dress.
- Sustainable brands: If you just want to enjoy the traditional wedding dress experience, you can! There are plenty of sustainable dress brands to choose from. For instance,
- Nordeen Bridal
There are so many dress styles to choose from:
- Mermaid – Tight bust to hip dress that flares out at the end like a mermaid’s tail
- Tea-length – Short and elegant like a teacup
- Ball gown – A tight bust and a grand flurry from the waist down
- A-line – Cinched right above the hips with a flare from the hips down
- Trumpet – A tight bust and hips with a flare at the thighs
- Column/ sheath – An elegant straight dress
- Empire – A flare starts just below the bust
Although some of these dress types are more traditional than others, more and more brides are selecting a dress type and giving it a unique flare.
For example, let’s say you’ve opted for a mermaid dress. Why not customize it with something original to your wedding? For instance, you could choose to add pastel sleeve lacing that matches your wedding’s color scheme. Or maybe it’s floral accents that compliment your palette?
The idea is to bring something individual and unforgettable to your wedding dress style that builds upon tried and tested wedding dress cuts.
Finishing off your look is what gives your wedding dress that final push into the sublime. So, let’s talk about some trending wedding dress accessories:
- Headpieces and veils: Floral veils are really in right now. Imagine a wreath-style headpiece with shimmering lace sweeping around your shoulders. From pristine whites to Victorian floral crowns, roses are in the air this wedding season.
- Belts: From bows to jewels, belts are back. More daring takes include white leather, sparkly metal bands, and belted sashes.
- Gloves: While gloves might seem like winter apparel, shear gloves lead the way this spring and summer. Think barely-there lace and soft tulle.
- Sleeves: Detachable sleeves are the next hype on our list. These sleeves roll effortlessly off the shoulders and drape down the arm like a veil.
- Gold: The top trend for jewelry this year is GOLD! Especially a nice pair of gold earrings.
- Pearls: The big trend at the moment is pearls. Not just around your neck but everywhere. We’re talking pearl embroidery, headpieces, and veils.
Embracing Your Body Type
Embracing your body type to feel comfortable on your special day is imperative. If you’re unsure where to begin, a good starting point is to find out your body shape and pick a dress to suit your body type accordingly.
Here are some suggestions:
- Hourglass: Some popular choices to accentuate your shape include mermaid and ball gown styles.
- Apple: Wedding dresses for apple-shaped bodies often highlight the bust, legs, and arms. For this shape, an empire or a-line dress works well.
- Pear: An empire-style dress or ball gown is flattering as they accentuate the torso.
- Athletic/slim: A-line-style dresses with fitted, structured styles often suit this body shape.
Let’s Get Colorful
While white reigns supreme, some fashionistas like experimenting with color on their wedding day. Whether choosing complementary colored accessories or switching from white to something more daring, there are plenty of ways to inject a splash of color into your outfit (should you wish to).
Some of the more popular color trends include:
- Earthly Delights: Think sage green, deep blue, and burgundies.
- Pastel Palette: These are your blush pinks, delicate baby blues, and mellow yellows.
- Royals Hues: These are bold and dark shades of purple, ultramarine, and maroon.
- Glamorous Metal: Daring and striking golds, bronze, and mustards.
Tips and Takeaways
Lastly, when shopping for your perfect wedding dress, keep these tips in mind:
- Research the best wedding hashtags to get some inspiration.
- Book an appointment to avoid disappointment.
- Research different styles so you know where to start.
- Have a solid budget in mind, so you don’t regret it later.
- Wear minimal makeup to avoid damaging the dresses.
- Take a supportive party with you. No nay sayers allowed!
- Ensure you use a good parcel tracking service for your dress’s delivery.
- To complete your look, don’t forget to experiment with different makeup styles – a natural look? A colorful vibe? Perhaps even goth makeup? Take some time to try different looks to see what you like best!
With that said, the most important thing is to enjoy the process. Don’t stress and live in the moment, and remember that any ‘trend’ or suggestion is just that – a suggestion. When it comes down to it, always go with your gut, and pick whatever makes you feel beautiful. Good luck!