For both buyers and sellers, the online auction giant of eBay is a very popular platform. Its biggest competitor is the online marketplace of Amazon, which also sells a huge range of products to customers all over the globe. Although the two have their similarities, they actually deploy very different business models.
If you are considering becoming an eBay seller, the infographic below is a good place to start to find out all you need to know about the ecommerce giant of eBay.com.
If you have something to sell, it is highly likely that you will be able to sell it on this platform. A few of the most popular categories include office supplies, fragrances, TVs, clothes, shoes, and phones, but the options are pretty much endless. For example of the number of purchases on the platform, a pair of shoes are sold roughly every 5 seconds!
So, what makes eBay the ideal platform from which to sell your goods?
1. Currently, the site has around 168 million active buyers. Just think of the huge potential customer base that this offers. There are over 2 billion daily transactions and over 380 million app downloads. It is pretty clear that the general public is a big fan of using eBay for searching and purchasing products, so you are already giving many customers what they want.
2. You can sell all sorts of things on eBay, from very upscale, to unique or handcrafted items. They can be second hand or brand new, a one-off product or multiple sales. eBay’s buyers tend to be looking for unique goods or deals rather than standardized named brands, making it a good place for new or individual sellers to start making their mark.
3. eBay offers sellers the opportunity to make their own shop, unlike other similar sites, such as Amazon. It presents easy to customize ‘storefronts’ so you can give your brand a presence. You are able to write your own product descriptions and create an ‘About me’ page. Sellers can maintain an identity on the site, making it more likely for return buyers to come and seek you out rather than just conducting another search.
4. eBay still gives the option to list a product as an auction sale. This is ideal if you are not really sure of the value of the product, or you feel as though it would sell well via auction. Simply sit back and let the bidders do all the work, and see how much they think it is worth.
5. The company has a huge global reach, meaning you can sell your products to people all over the world. This opens up your potential market hugely, especially if you are selling something that may be of interest to people in other countries.
6. You are able to sell real estate or vehicles on eBay, an option that you don’t have on competitor sites such as Amazon. It is a vibrant marketplace for these types of products, so you will certainly have a lot of people looking at your goods.