Are you new to sewing and you don’t know what tools you need to make your sewing a success? Do you wonder if you need more tools in your sewing kit even when you have a sewing machine? If you are new to sewing, there is a bit of information you need to learn before you stock up your sewing kit.
Yes, a hand sewing machine works great and is a great place to start. But you do need sewing supplies and tools in your sewing kit that will not only get you started on some projects but can carry you through your sewing career.
The tools that should be in your sewing kit
- Scissors by Fiskars – Every beginner needs a sharp pair of scissors that is able to cut any type of fabric. Guard your scissors with your life so that they don’t cut other things and become blunt. Do not use these scissors to cut out your sewing patterns from a book or anywhere else. Get a second pair of scissors that you can use to cut just anything.
- A sharp seam ripper – A blunt seam ripper will not be of much help because it will require that you pull the garment as though you have no ripper. If you are getting a ripper, get a sharp one that can open your seams without pain.
- Good pins – Glass head pins are known to give the best grip on any kind of fabric. Forget about the plastic headed ones because they melt when you iron the fabric and release the area they were holding. The glass headed pins glide through any fabric with ease. Their shaft does not rust and they remain sharp for long.
- Measuring tools – It’s okay to start with a 12” school ruler or a yardstick but it’s important to buy a measuring tape. A 60” long measurement tape is the maximum length you should have because anything longer than this is too cumbersome. Get a tape that has 1” on one end side and 60” on the other because it is very convenient to use. You can also use see-through rulers that are great in helping you see through the numbers.
- Marking tools – You cannot sew straight if you have not marked it out. Marking tools are vital in ensuring you stay on the right sewing track. Be sure to get the right marking tools for the right fabric. Chalk is the most common one and comes in different colors that you can choose depending on the color of the fabric. Some pens prove to be hard to wash out so be careful if you chose and use them.
- Painters tape or any other kind of tape – Most sewers do not know the importance of this tool. It is a vital tool for those who learn how to sew in a straight line. This tape comes in handy when you want to straighten out a seam. The tape mostly comes in a ¾” width and can hold onto the fabric to keep your line straight.
These are just some of the basic must-have tools you need in your sewing kit! Of course there are many more things you can add to your sewing kit later, but in order to do basic repairs or small projects, these are the 6 things you want to make sure you have on hand before you begin!
Don’t forget to grab a cute little sewing basket to keep everything in!