SUBMITTED BY: Holly
“The tang of cranberries meets the rich goodness of whipped cream in this new twist on the cream pie theme!”
Original recipe yield: 1 – 9 inch pie
PREP TIME: 30 Min
COOK TIME: 1 Hr
READY IN: 1 Hr 30 Min
* 2 cups boiling water to cover
* 1 cup dried cranberries
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 2 1/4 cups milk
* 2 eggs, lightly beaten
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1/4 cup butter, diced
* 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
* 1 cup heavy whipping cream
* 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Pour boiling water over the cranberries to cover. Let stand for 5 minutes and drain.
2. In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually stir in the milk and eggs. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in the sour cream, butter, and cranberries; pour mixture into the baked pastry shell. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
4. Whip the cream until soft peaks form, fold in the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Swirl over the top of the cooled and set pie.