Winter 2009 nail polish trends are centered around dark tones, deep plums and wines, grey, charcoal and bottomless blues. Metallic accents complete the look. This season’s colors reflect the boldness of fashion driven women who are risk takers. Enter, the “BlackBerry Bling.”
Dawn Sterling, creator of the “BlackBerry Bling” texting manicure and lead technician at the Carol’s Daughter Back Room Hand & Foot Spa says, “The BlackBerry Bling will be hot this season because everyone has a BlackBerry, if you don’t, you’ve got something that you’re texting and emailing on all day – with your thumbs. Since your thumbs are always in sight they’ve become a huge fashion accessory.” Dawn says that manicures have evolved from a simple grooming ritual to fashion accessory. “Nails were huge during Fashion Week this Fall and people were paying more attention to nail trends than ever before. Women aren’t spending as much on clothes and other accessories, so hot nails are becoming a major must have.”
Want to achieve the “BlackBerry Bling” from home? “It’s all in the product and application,” Dawn explains. “Some polishes apply differently from others; you have to know which ones go on even without having to apply multiple coats. Know the brand and take your time to apply correctly.”
SEVEN SIMPLE STEPS TO ACHIEVING THE BLACKBERRY BLING
1. Start with an exfoliating hand treatment like the Carol’s Daughter Lemon Ginger Mint Manicure In A Jar. This will soften any dead callosed skin around the hands leaving them silky smooth. Follow with the Carol’s Daughter Lemon and Rose Hand Cream to lock in the moisture.
2. Choose your polish. For a base color, Dawn suggests colors like ‘Kaleidoscope’ by Chanel, ‘Mink Muffs’ by Essie or ‘Knight Storm’ by M2M. For some sparkle, try ‘Star Burst’ by M2M.
3. Start by applying a base coat like Essie First Base Base Coat to all nails.
4. Apply a matte nail color to fingers, excluding the index finger and thumb. (Dawn says you can turn your favorite shade into a matte shade by applying Essie Matte About You Matte Finisher.)
5. Apply a metallic polish of your choice to remaining unpolished nails.
6. Apply a second coat on each nail, and allow three to five minutes to dry.
7. Finish with a top coat. Dawn recommends essie Super Duper Top Coat.
Thank you to Dawn Sterling for sharing those fabulous tips with us! When I finally get my hands on a BlackBerry, I’ll have to try out this neat manicure and let you know how it looks.
Here are some nail polish colors I’m wearing this season…