Sometimes, we just want to thrift our meals, even if it is not really necessary. Of course, there are some points in our lives when financial calamities strike and we have to constrict our budgeting. Food is a necessity, but it doesn’t mean that it can never be compromised. As a matter fact, we can always spot frugal people by the kind of food they eat.
But don’t get me wrong. Being frugal is not bad. And eating inexpensive meals is not something that you should degrade you. It just that when it comes to food, we have the option to spend more or to spend less. Obviously, people with little to spend will be forced to eat on the limit of their budget.
But does it mean that frugal food is not tasty and nutritious? Absolutely not. Simple food may appear bland, but they can give a world of flavor that could surprise you. When it comes to the nutritional factor, frugal food is not lacking either. Most of the time, simple food are composed of basic ingredients such as vegetables, fruits, and basic cuts of meat. Regardless where you look at it, these food items are simply beneficial for your body.
If you want to learn a frugal food that could save your tummy during the rainy days, you should check out this following recipe that I will feature. In here, I will teach you how to make sesame noodles with chicken and broccoli. Let’s get started!
- Whole wheat spaghetti noodles (8 ounces)
- Sugar (2 tablespoons)
- Soy sauce (3 tablespoons)
- Rice vinegar (2 tablespoons)
- Vegetable oil (1/4 cup)
- Garlic (3 cloves; minced)
- Fresh broccoli (1½ cup)
- Chicken breast (1½ cup; diced)
- Sesame seeds
- You should start by cooking the pasta as instructed on its package. After the pasta has been cooked, set it aside already.
- Place your saucepan on the stove and let it be heated under medium heat setting. When the saucepan is properly heated already, toast the sesame seeds on it. Stir the sesame seeds thoroughly until their color will change to light brown.
- Once done, pour the soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar into a bowl. Leave the mixture for a while.
- Use a large skillet to heat the vegetable oil (make sure it is on a medium-heat setting). If the oil is already hot, you can add the broccoli and garlic. Just stir the vegetables continuously until they will get tender.
- After 3 to 5 minutes, add the diced chicken. Let the chicken and vegetables be cooked for another 5 minutes. After that, you can already add the pasta and mixture you prepared in a separate bowl. Stir the mixture thoroughly until the flavor of the ingredients blends together. Whisk the sesame seeds on the top of the mixture.
- At this point, the dish is already finished. Make sure that you serve it hot. But if there are leftovers, you can refrigerate them overnight.
For those who want to want to enhance the flavor of this food, try adding red chili flakes. Pouring sesame oil or green onions on the cuisine should also do the trick. You can also try other flavor enhancers and sauces. Just make sure that you don't put too many additives that could overpower the original taste of this dish.
As you can see, frugal food should not be undermined. This sesame spaghetti recipe is a clear proof that simple meal ideas can deliver both the nutrition and flavor that your body needs. It does not lack anything. In fact, being able to prepare this kind of recipes is an advantage on your part.
The money you can save from buying inexpensive ingredients can be used on other pressing stuff. Just think about it. It is a guaranteed win-win situation on your part!
To make things better, just make sure that you include beverages whenever you are making these recipes. Simple drinks like juice or smoothies are not that expensive to make. Moreover, they can improve your overall dining experience. With these drinks around, your food will never be bland!