If many women were asked how many trousers they own, they wouldn’t even have to check their closets. A lot of us have let this once-essential item drift out of our wardrobes. But this might be the season to change that, since they are very in– part of the trend towards grown-up dressing.
So what makes something a trouser as opposed to pants or slacks? In general a trouser has some (0r all) of the following characteristics:
- Classic styling with a fitted waist and straight legs (that may flare slightly towards the ankle).
- Quality fabric (probably a wool or rayon blend for Fall).
- Neutral color that may include subtle prints like houndstooth, tweed, or tone-on-tone plaid.
- Polish— many pairs are lined but if not, the inside seams are finished.
A couple of thoughts about wearing trousers:
- Many women have the conception that they aren’t flattering. But truthfully, a classic pair that fits well is one of the most attractive looks out there. Take your time searching for the right pair, and when you find them, be willing to tailor them to fit perfectly. After all, if you get a great pair, you can wear them for years.
- Trousers are particularly flattering for people who carry weight in their hips and thighs. Just be sure that the leg extends straight down from the hip, creating a balanced silhouette.
- The most iconic version of the trouser features a high waist, pleats, and cuffs. I love it on Katharine Hepburn, but unless you’re long and leggy like she was, it’s not the best choice. Instead, look for a waist that falls below your natural waist–around your belly button, a flat front, and slash-front pockets.
- Shoes, shoes, shoes! Many styles complement this look, but chances are you’ll want to wear something with a heel to highlight your elongated legs.
And a couple of ideas about how to wear a specific pair:
Co-Lab by Christopher Kon Python-Print Hobo at Endless.com, Hydraulic Distressed Faux Leather Motorcycle Jacket at Macys.com, Antonio Melani “Antonio” Trousers at Dillards.com,
AK Anne Klein – Cap Sleeve Pullover at Zappos.com,
Adee Waiss 18k Yellow Gold Overlay Wide Ring at Overstock.com, Collection 18 Gauze Scarf at Nordstrom.com, and
Glaze Betsy 9 Bootie at Endless.com.
BCBGeneration Wool blend V-neck Sweater at Bluefly.com,
Melie Bianco Shoulder Bag at Endless.com, Vanity Fair Body Caress Camisole Daywear at BareNeccessities.com, Antonio Melani “Antonio” Trousers at Dillards.com,
Peacock Black Freshwater Pearl 64-inch Endless Necklace (8-9 mm) at Overstock.com, Sterling Silver Three Bangle Set at Amazon.com, and
Circa Joan & David Cameo T-Strap Pump at Endless.com