Acne is not just about having that pimple or zit that makes its grand appearance once in a while. Seeing one pimple on your face need not send you into a frantic search for a dermatologist in the yellow pages. Acne is a skin condition that presents with red pimples on the skin, especially on the face. It might occur due to inflammation or infection.
Acne varies from mild to severe and will affect different people in different ways. The condition is also categorized into different types. In order to understand and treat yours effectively, you will need to understand the type that you have. Once you understand what you are dealing with, maybe you can disregard all the lemon advice that keeps getting thrown your way.
Types of Acne
This type of acne comes with different types of lesions:
- Blackheads – These ones appear as dark-colored bumps on the skin. They are not infected but are clogged. Most people are tempted to peel these off, which is not a brilliant idea.
- Whiteheads – They are clogged follicles that present as white bumps on your skin. They are covered by a thin layer of skin.
- Papules – These are sensitive and painful lesions that are usually inflamed and may appear red.
- Pustules – These ones are filled with pus and are inflamed. They appear white or yellow and sufferers are fond of popping them, which leaves acne scarring on the skin. It is better to leave them to heal slowly.
- Nodules – They appear under the skin and feel hard when you touch them. They are a severe form of acne, but they do not contain any pus.
- Cysts – If you have these, you will need the attention of a dermatologist. They are a very severe form of acne. Cysts are inflamed and filled with pus. They are also painful.
Acne fulminans comes suddenly in the adolescent stage and mainly affects adolescent males. It presents as inflammatory nodular acne and mainly attacks the back and neck. It may result in the following:
- Painful joints
- Severe scarring
- A variety of additional health issues
This one must be treated by a dermatologist because a young man suffering from this condition would need relief from the discomfort. In addition, with adolescence being such a sensitive stage, the patient would require support to be able to handle the condition without too much stress.
This type of acne is triggered. It is most common among athletes as well as those who are already vulnerable to acne breakouts. It presents as small bumps that can vary in severity from puny comedones to inflamed lesions. This type of acne is triggered by:
- Friction on the skin
Since athletes tend to be exposed to all the three triggers, it is no wonder that they are prone to suffering from this type of acne.
While lemon has been known to provide relief for a lot of skin conditions and is included in many skincare products, it might not be very effective in dealing with severe acne. Even still, some dermatologists recommend it anyway. If standard acne products like Proactiv don’t work for you, you might want to consider seeing a dermatologist before trying any other products.