If you have hardwood flooring in your home, there is no doubt that you spend a considerable amount of time and effort to ensure that they always look their best. When it comes to cleaning and maintenance, you’re probably wondering what the best vacuum for hardwood floors really is. Well, there are thousands of options that you may come across in the market. Some of the most common choices include Canister, Upright, Stick and Robotic Vacuums, but which one is the best vacuum for your expensive hardwood floors?
The mistake of using traditional vacuums
Many people fail to understand the mistake of using the ordinary vacuums on hardwood floors. The reluctance of purchasing a new vacuum, especially when your present one is in working condition is completely understandable. But wait! It can be the worst mistake of your life because vacuums that are for hardwood floors are entirely different from those designed to clean carpets. Hardwood floors demand care, and regular vacuum cleaners are not designed for this purpose. Traditional vacuum cleaners come with roller brushes, and there are thick bristles which can leave scratches on hardwood floors. Again, the beater brush can scatter debris and dirt, making it difficult to clean.
Choosing the best vacuum for hardwood floors does not mean that you have to buy the most expensive one though.
In this article, you will get to learn the factors which you need to consider while purchasing the best vacuum for hardwood floors here and which ones fit in your budget.
What are the features you should look out for?
When purchasing vacuum for your expensive hardwood, there are some specific must-have features that you need to consider. Let’s discuss them in details:
- Weight – Always choose a vacuum cleaner that is lightweight or at least portable so that you can move around with it in the house. A heavy unit will increase the chances of surface damage while dragging or pulling behind during the cleaning process.
- Power – You can go either for a battery-powered vacuum cleaner or corded ones. The former type is suitable for small rooms while the other one provides you relief from recharging the battery repeatedly.
- Wheels – Before making the purchase, it is essential that you check out the material used for designing the wheels. Rubber bumpers or rubber wheels are ideal choices for preventing dents and scratches on the hardwood. It is better to avoid hard plastic at all cost.
- Cleaning head – Most of the vacuum cleaners available in the market come with revolving brushes. So, while purchasing a cleaner make sure that it has the feature to turn off the brush because otherwise, it won’t be a good option for your hardwood floors. At the same time, also make sure that the brush attachments are accompanied with soft bristles because dense and stiff brushes will lead to scratches on the floor surface. Parquet brushes are ideal for hardwood. These felt-like brushes come with soft bristles and ensure proper and easy cleaning. Some types of vacuum cleaners come with detachable microfiber pads that enable individuals to eliminate the need for mopping the floor.
- Suction – Powerful suction is essential to pull out the dirt and dust particles from the gaps between the boards.
It is crucial for you to understand that hardwood floors are a long-term investment and using the right cleaning tools for maintenance is necessary to extend the life. Selecting an appropriate vacuum cleaner will not only add to its life but will also ensure the brand-new look for years to come.
Hopefully, this guide will help you in selecting the right vacuum for your hardwood floor.