If you are looking for a yummy chowder that’s easy and quick to make, then this is the recipe for you! It’s a great way to get the kids to eat vegetables too and they won’t even know it!
This recipe has three main stars – black beans, corn and pumpkin. Together in a creamy base, these three vegetables create a delicious fall chowder that will have you going back for a second and third bowl.
It takes just a few minutes to prepare and about 30 minutes to cook, so this is a great family meal when you are short on time. In the fall, I have most of these ingredients on hand as well, so it doesn’t take a lot of pre-planning.
Not only is this recipe healthy and delicious, it’s also gluten free and can easily be made dairy free if needed.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 15oz cans of black beans
- 4 15oz cans of sweet corn
- 1 15oz can 100% pumpkin puree
- 1 32oz container chicken broth
- 2 cups of whole milk (or 1 can of coconut milk)
- 1 tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and chopped onions and saute until tender and golden brown (about 4 mins.)
- Add beans and 2 cans of corn and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 mins.
- Puree the other 2 cans of corn in a food processor or blender. (add ½ cup of broth to make pureeing easier)
- Add the pureed corn to pan, along with pumpkin puree, the rest of the broth, cinnamon, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in the milk (or coconut milk for dairy-free option) and cook over medium to low heat. Careful not to let it boil.
- When heated thoroughly, turn heat off and serve!
- Optional: serve with a garnish of salted,roasted pumpkin seeds
Let me know what you think!